Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popple Holes

Shadow

IIRC Bob Londrigan asked people not to post the exact size and spacing information he uses last time this topic came up. Reason being the amount of time and effort he'd put into coming up with them. You might try asking him nicely if you live somewhere to make it impractical for him to do them.

Here's the thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...topic=12847&hl=

Thanks Shred.

For clarification:

"Poppleholes" is a proprietary term I coined to describe the barrel porting that I do in the Pro Sx. They are named in honor of Adam Popplewell who was the inspiration behind them. I don't give out the dimensions because they are specific to the Pro Sx configuration and took a lot of work and experimentation to get them just right. Lately the term seems to be used generically for barrel porting but if used properly it applies to a specific type of barrel porting that is only used by Brazos Custom.

Thanks for the reply Shred. Sorry, Bob, didn't realize they were proprietary to Brazos. I thought it was a generic term as you mention. To all, please disregard the post.

Jim

Edited by Shadow

• 2 years later...

I am looking for any sort of information on how to drill these holes and how big each of them should be. The gun is a STI Trubor

Thank you,

Sandro

Sandro....I merged your question into this existing thread. - Admin

Edited by Flexmoney

When dawson & myself started useing the holes back in the mid 90's, we cut the slide holes .250 dia. & .400 apart center to center & off set the barrel holes to the rear of these so nothing would hurd the c-more lens. The barrel holes are .170

:surprise:

When I cant talk the customer out of it, I use a tapered end mill with an 1/8 nose

spaced .250 apart 2nd hole spaced .020 off center to the right, 3rd hole .030 off center to the right

4th hole in line with the first hole. I use a slot in the slide .250 wide

I dont think they work all that well, EGW sells a whole buckett load of comps, the one brownells

offers is a really good one for 9mm open.This is using a Storm Lake 9mm barrel .575x40

thread with a cone comp.These barrels are the most consistant in velocity and accuracy

that Ive used,with the exception of maybe a Kart barrel in 45 acp. <_<

Jim/Pa :devil::D

Sailors

Back in the late '70's t early '80's I used to experiment with "brake" holes. Austin Behlert used to laugh at them and say I had too much free time in my hands ... :rolleyes:

At the present I will do "barrel ports" of the conventional type when a customer request them, and they are caliber/load specific. I use my own system which requires a main small size and then a two step nozzle taper. I call them "micro-manage gas ports" (in case you wanted to know <_< , and NO I didn't copywright that name ! :unsure: )

Mostly, I do recommend "V-Ports" which IMHO do a much better job in a more "managed" array. My V-Ports are angled slightly forward and have a distinctive side angle pattern to help stabilize bullet torque.

Whatever design style you decide on, please avoid extremely large diameter vents, which will maximize gas usage but minimize jet lbs./pressure.