Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3Gun shotgun choices

villageidiot

There are basically three options for a shotgun, right?

1) M2 + mods for dual/quad loads + 14 rd tube: Extremely reliable, minimal cleaning required, and competitive in all three divisions. 

2) Cheaper than M2 tube shotgun of the moment (FN SLP, JM930, Versamax, A5, M3K, JM940, 1301,...): May work depending on your proclivity towards maintenance, the environment, and luck of the draw.

3) Mag fed gun: Spend a little. Spend a lot. Modify it. It is still going to jam.

As a 7 year owner/user of a 1301 my advise to new operators of the platform, ignore the piston/cylinder as if they aren't even there. Don't touch them, don't clean them, and certainly NEVER oil them. 

Had issues when I used to clean the pistol with clogging the ports, took time to work itself open again but just ignoring the thing, works great. My 1301's and everyone else I personally know with one who follows that logic, work great. 

• 1 month later...

I have the stoeger m3k, and I’m looking to get the beretta A300 patrol.

I do have 9+1 on the m3k and am planning to keep the 7+1 when I get the beretta.

before the A300 was announced the only other contender for me was the beretta 1301. 

I often use my 4+1 Ithaca 37 so take my advice as you see fit.