Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comparing The Apex Tactical Hammer And New RevUp Action Hammer

AzShooter

This week I had the opportunity to compare the Apex Tactical Mass Drive Hammer and the RevUpAction Hammer Kit for the K/L Frame Smith and Wesson in my 617s. The RevUp hammer is on the right and the Apex one is on the left.

The Apex Mass Drive is advertised to be able to give you a 6.5 pound Double Action (DA) trigger pull in your 617.  It works with some ammo but to get everything to ignite mine is set at 9 pounds which is still a big improvement over the stock factory trigger pull which can run between 12 and 14 pounds. Hammer fall needs to be about 45 ounces to fire CCI Mini Mags in my gun.

The kit costs $150 and comes with the hammer, firing pin and three springs so you can get the correct return on your trigger.  It is a true drop in kit with no gunsmithing required. I use the light recoil spring which I believe is 11 pounds and get reliable trigger return in my well broken in 6 inch 617.  It's a big advantage compared to the stock trigger pull.

In my opinion it's well worth the investment.  I was lucky enough to get the first hammer available to the public.  The advantage of this heavier hammer is that it will ignite a variety of ammo brands and gives a super light DA pull.  I've been using it with success for a couple of years now.

I received my RevUP Action Hammer Kit two weeks ago and installed it in no time.  Truly a drop in kit so you don't have to send your gun to a gunsmith which will save you at least the shipping which is now about $100 as well as the cost of the trigger job.  The kit comes with the hammer, firing pin with spring as well as an 11, 12 and 13 pound rebound spring. I installed it in a new 4 inch 617 that had not tuning done to it.  I had to use the 12 pound rebound spring to insure complete return on the trigger.

The price of the RevUp Kit is s$250 now but will be going up in the future so buy it now.  I have the K/L frame kit and they also make one for the N frame revolvers.

I set the hammer fall at 45 ounces, just like in my 6 inch gun so that I can shoot Mini Mags and a wide varity of ammo.  I can get away with a lighter pull if I use Remington 
Bucket Of Bullets.  DA pull is 9.9 pounds averaged on my Lyman Digital Scale.

With the RevUp Hammer accuracy is very good and my times for Steel Challenge are improving.  The new hammer kit gives me a much smoother trigger pull and makes my sight stay on target better throughout the pull.  The gun is very comfortable to shoot .  With Remington Golden Bullets I can get away with 40 ounces of hammer fall and my DA pull is around 8.5 pounds.  I keep it at 9.9 pounds for the Mini Mags so I can reliably pick up any ammo in the garage and know it will go bang.

Both kits are vast improvements and are worth the investment.  Which is better will be up to the shooter.  If you like the standard style trigger pull but want it to be lighter than what comes from the factory the Apex kit will fit your needs.  If you want a really different experience with a light, smooth DA pull give the RevUp kit a chance.  It's well worth the investment.

Apex and RevUp.jpg

Apex in 617.jpg

DSC_7925_0425.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got a second kit and put it in my 6 inch 617.  It really feels so smooth you've got to try it to believe it.

I fired 380 rounds today, a mixture of Remington Bucket Of Bullets, 100 rounds and Federal 40 grain LRN from the 800 pack.  All went bang and I found it easy to pull the trigger from shot 1 to 380.