Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil springs for a M&P 2.0 Competition pistol 5 inch

chgofirefighter

9 minutes ago, mpom said:

Why not ask the tungsten rod manufacturer/seller which brand if springs are the best fit?

The rod diameter was selected w a spring in mind

Good idea, however they just specialize in making the rod itself.  But good point~  Thanks for pointing it out

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 8:40 AM, Amerflyer48 said:

Check with Carvercustom.com they have tungsten rods and I believe even give diameter and sell springs 

They do. They sell ISMI and Wolff springs, depending on the guide rod you go with. I have the tungsten guide rod for Wolff springs, and it's been good to me so far.

What is everyone’s experience with the tungsten guide rods? A noticeable difference? Carver custom states “Test results show an average of 60% reduction in muzzle rise” with their tungsten guide rod… Sounds like that could be some funny numbering in the testing as muzzle rise has a direct correlation to grip pressure, wrist angle, wrist strength etc. Just curious if others have found them to be beneficial. 

21 hours ago, ty_TC said:

What is everyone’s experience with the tungsten guide rods? A noticeable difference? Carver custom states “Test results show an average of 60% reduction in muzzle rise” with their tungsten guide rod… Sounds like that could be some funny numbering in the testing as muzzle rise has a direct correlation to grip pressure, wrist angle, wrist strength etc. Just curious if others have found them to be beneficial. 

In my experience, yes. The extra weight does help with perceived recoil, as would adding weight to a firearm as light as an M&P. It can also mess with your transitions if you're used to doing them with the nonexistent weight, since the tungsten guide rod will throw off the balance of your gun forward. But none of it is as massive as the percentage suggests. It's just a small part that, when added with more small parts like your own training and other modifications to the pistol can end up making an overall big difference.