Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZC slide does funky stuff

YVK

I'm not a very attentive dude and I don't know when this started to happen. Stuart and his crew cut this slide for me in '18, I think. The gun functions fine in live fire. In dry fire I can carefully pull it back and it will stay in that position. Tapping it or racking it releases it forward. Regular unmilled slide doesn't do it on this frame. Swapping barrels and recoil guides makes no difference. I guess it is binding somewhere but I can't figure out where.

????

20230102_224254.jpg

40 minutes ago, YVK said:

I'm not a very attentive dude and I don't know when this started to happen. Stuart and his crew cut this slide for me in '18, I think. The gun functions fine in live fire. In dry fire I can carefully pull it back and it will stay in that position. Tapping it or racking it releases it forward. Regular unmilled slide doesn't do it on this frame. Swapping barrels and recoil guides makes no difference. I guess it is binding somewhere but I can't figure out where.

????

20230102_224254.jpg

Ideas:

*Check to see if there is gunk build up in the locking lugs on the barrel, or any peening or deformation.

*Also, do you happen to have an extra Slide Stop? Swap it out. 

*Recoil Spring is binding somewhere on the recoil guide rod with gunk or a divot?

Thanks for the ideas, guys. Tried another slide stop, doesn't matter. Tried this slide on two other frames, some hesitancy returning to battery, not sure if excessive, but I can't get it to hang up like on the pic. No obvious peening, although I am tempted to get a magnifying glass. Extractor pins and plate screws look fine.

I had to install a Cajun bushing on this slide because factory part departed without telling me beforehand. At this point I am thinking some tolerance stacking between this frame and Cajun bushing holding the barrel tighter. Not sure what else to think. 

On 1/2/2023 at 10:16 PM, YVK said:

????

If they cut the slide for optics, check the firing pin block. If they cut too deep, the firing pin block maybe protruding a little. This explains why in live fire the slide moves but not during dry fire.

Common mistake when they cut the slide for optics. I hope this helps. 

20230102_224254.jpg

I am sorry I couldnt see the picture well. I did'nt ntoice it was a TS or shadow (they don't have FPB) One thing you can do to isolate the binding is using an eraseable marker, mark or paint the parts that make contact. The barrel, the slide rails, the hammer, the inside of the slide that makes contact with the barrel. The slide lock pin and contact point to the barrel, the portion that locks the barrel to the slide when you rack the slide, etc..

Mark or paint the parts that make contact one section at a time. Maybe this will help you isolate the area that's binding. 

Is this the original slide for this frame?

Have you tried a stronger recoil spring?

When racking the slide by hand does it feel like it's dragging? Also try sliding it back and forth without the barrel and recoil system and see how it feels. 

I can't see all the slide but it looks like you have had a major reduction in the amount of metal in the slide. How many rounds through it? When you put the slide only on a flat surface is it flat?

No, slide is from a different frame. Haven't tried a stronger spring. It does feel like dragging when moving by hand. Yes, it is a CZC work pre-weight limit removal so there is a ton of weight taken off. The gun is 200 rounds shy of 20,000 rounds, the 10X bushing was installed at 14K. About 9 feeding malfunctions total, most of them before the new bushing installation. Slide levels fine. As I said, the gun has run fine which is probably the reason why I haven't paid as much attention.

As said before check your barrel lug and make sure it's clean and smooth. Try the next weight up recoil spring. 10X bushing can be a little tight but for me that just makes it a little harder to remove the barrel. Take out the barrel and try to make it level as possible and run the barrel back and forth through the bushing from the front and check for resistance. You might also want to get a light polishing compound like Flitz put some on the rails (frame or slide doesn't matter) and with the barrel and recoil system out just work the slide back and forth until nice and smooth. Also try a little polish on the front of the barrel to make it a little smoother. Also looking at the pic it looks like you have little to no oil on the rail. Did you clean it before the pic and how much oil is on it when you do your function test?