Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

internals interchangeability?

jimbullet

Do all 2011 internals interchange with one another? I've got an STI DVC Limited 40 which I think has a great trigger pull and I have an older (like 10 years older)STI edge 40 with a new Schumann barrel in it which is very accurate but the trigger is on the heavier side (compared to the DVC).

I know I could just buy ignition parts and get a great trigger job but looking to save some $$ in the meantime. I'm thinking of doing a Frankenstein by putting some of the internals, sear, hammer, disconnector, strut and MSH into the STI edge which will allow me to have a great barrel and great trigger in one gun and dont have to spend any $$.

My question is has anyone done this and will they basically work like drop in? The 2011 frames appear to be very identical so I figured they should just be drop in. Thoughts?

Also, got an older SVI Infinity and from what I have read, there are some proprietary designs in an infinity. I suppose I can't put an STI DVC ignition parts into an infinity can I? 

I'm pretty sure your DVC and your edge should be able to swap components and I think your SV can as well although for some reason I'm thinking there's something that's a touch different on some SV frames. But with 19/2011s they're not always drop in, so they may not fit without fitting and then you might mess up your trigger job that you like.

My suggestion would be swap it all and see if it works without any fitting and if it does great, if it doesn't just put it back in the other gun and get a trigger job done on your edge.

Well, in reality my suggestion would just be get a trigger job done on the edge and have two guns with a good trigger. And I mean just have a gunsmith do a trigger job not change components. The guy that does them for me with stock components can generally get them down around two and a half pounds and nice and clean. But I understand money can be tight

2011 internals are supposed to interchange, but that is not always the case, even between the same brand guns.  There are manufacturing tolerances.  Also, not all manufacturers use the same blueprint.  If you build guns, you find that out early on.

I would not swap components out of your DVC.   Chances are the parts in your 10 year older Edge are better than what is in your DVC.  If you trigger is heavier than you like, adjust it.  If it isn't creepy you can bend the sear spring to apply less pressure, and you can change to a lighter mainspring.  Both are easy to do and reduce trigger pull weight.  If it is creepy, a gunsmith or a new ignition kit is in order.  However, if your pin holes are not perfect, a good ignition set from EGW or Brazos will not drop right in.  So, you will have to adjust the fit, or pay a gunsmith to do it.

I would agree with ZZT, learn how the system works, and with a little pertinence and practice, you can achieve the trigger that you like. One thing I would suggest is, if you venture down this path, invest in a good set of stones and jig (I use a Harrison Design True Radius jig), this will help in maintaining your hammer/sear alignment.

6 hours ago, zzt said:

2011 internals are supposed to interchange, but that is not always the case, even between the same brand guns.  There are manufacturing tolerances.  Also, not all manufacturers use the same blueprint.  If you build guns, you find that out early on.

I would not swap components out of your DVC.   Chances are the parts in your 10 year older Edge are better than what is in your DVC.  If you trigger is heavier than you like, adjust it.  If it isn't creepy you can bend the sear spring to apply less pressure, and you can change to a lighter mainspring.  Both are easy to do and reduce trigger pull weight.  If it is creepy, a gunsmith or a new ignition kit is in order.  However, if your pin holes are not perfect, a good ignition set from EGW or Brazos will not drop right in.  So, you will have to adjust the fit, or pay a gunsmith to do it.

The trigger of the Edge is crisp with no creep and breaks at 3 lbs. I guess I could just try to bend the sear spring away from the sear. Always used 17 lb mainspring because when I used 15 lbs, I get light strikes.

re: sear spring...will this not break if I try to move it by hand?

Edited by jimbullet
update question

20 hours ago, jimbullet said:

re: sear spring...will this not break if I try to move it by hand?

Bending by hand is how you do it.  It won't break.  If you are worried about it, but a new one for $7.  Check the tension on the disco.  That may also be too heary.