Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Guide Rods

TRG65

It is my understanding that for IDPA SSP the guide rod in a Glock can not be changed to SS and definately not tungsten and remain in SSP.  However, I would like to be able to experiment with lighter springs for possible lower perceived recoil, I want to see for myself.  But I have been unable to track down a place to purchase a plastic captive or non captive spring switchable guide rod.  Nor have I found or figured out a way to swich the springs on the stock recoil assembly.  Any help?

You are correct in that you can't change the material of the stock recoil spring rod and still remain in SSP, but you can use the stock recoil spring assembly and replace the spring with a lighter one.  You have to be careful because the plug cap in the stock assembly will launch during disassembly so you have to have some way of controlling that.  (I work inside a gallon size clear ziplock bag.)  Insert a piece of coat hanger or stiff wire in the small hole and drive out the cap pin at the other end.  Place your spring on the rod and compress the spring enough to install the rod cap back in place.  Works like a charm.  Good luck.  BTW, I think Glockmeister sells lighter springs already on the stock assembly also.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up using a Wolff setup and just moved to the ESP catagory too.

I shoot a G20 and use a 22 lb spring in mine

or

If you reload, you can stay in SSP by just trying a lighter load for your caliber until you find a mix you like withthe stock spring

For SSP I also use the stock plastic guide rod, uncaptured, with ISMI springs.  The ISMI springs fit the stock rod well.  The Wolff springs are a bit too large for the stock diameter rod, so I only use Wolff springs with the Wolff rod which means no SSP.

Chris thanks for the advice however when I tried to Pop it off, you made it sound too easy.  I eventually got it off with vice grips, but mangled the end to the point I couldn't put it back on.  I'm going to Dremel the fat part off the next one and go with a "stock non captive" guide rod, with an ISMI spring like Vincent and maybe CGR?

Thanks

Yeah, when I said "drive out the cap pin" I meant drive it out with a hammer.   That's what I did anyway.  Not like pounding a 16 penny nail, but it takes some impact to dislodge that cap, and when it comes out, if it's not contained it's going somewhere far, far away.