Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighter mainspring for Super Redhawk

AZ_GunGuy

I have a GP-100 that, I believe, has an action design and geometry very similar to the Super Redhawk.  I also bought the Wolff spring kit with the same weight hammer springs.  The 12 pound spring was reliable and the 10-pound also works very reliably in mine and it made a noticeable improvement in the trigger pull.  I never tried the 9 pound as it seemed to be tempting fate.

Whenever I tried the 10# I would get light strikes occasionally. I also didn’t like the fall of the hammer in single action, it seemed slow. Now this was on a 44 used for hunting so SA was mostly used and also in all weather conditions. The 12# works every time but you can tell the difference. An 11# would probably be perfect. 

On 12/22/2022 at 7:48 PM, AZ_GunGuy said:

I decided to go with the 10# to start with.  It's noticeably lighter.  I'll be sure to test it at the range before carrying it.

I forgot to mention that I use WW primers. Feds may not present a problem although in my wife’s SP 327 it wouldn’t fire factory Fed ammo every time with the #10. YMMV

I've done a number of SRHs, GPs, and SPs for local people. I always start them out with the middle weight spring (#10), and the only ungrateful revolver was an SP101 that should not have left the factory in the condition it was in, lots of rough edges and poor finish work in the action. The owner didn't want to send it back so he ended up paying me to do an action job on it. He left really happy with it afterwards, and later swapped in the 9# spring and it still worked perfectly. The only other issues were with a couple of guys using magnum rifle primers in 357 mag. They ended up with 12# hammer springs.