Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Chrome and Optic Cuts

touji

I've been debating about sending some stuff out to get hard chromed, but I'm curious what the guidance is on coatings like HC and optic cuts. Has anyone had any problems with getting a slide cut for a red dot, and then getting hard chromed from a fit perspective? Are there any impacts to things like action work once a gun gets HC treatment? I'd love to get some experience from folks and I'd love to see any Beretta or Shadow 2s that have been hard chromed with an optic cut! 

I’m mainly concerned about getting an optic cut and getting the chrome down later down the road. I’ve heard of fitment issues for some guns with aftermarket hard chrome. Looks like getting it cut AFTER chrome will work, as @Zachjet mentioned since Tanfos come hard chromed from the factory.

I can't speak for Tanfos factory HC. But my last two raceguns were a custom built and then HC'd. Just made everything slicker. And there were parts with a lot tighter tolerances than an optic mount.

I wouldn't want the HC removed in the optics cut area.

Talk to whomever you are going to have cut it and HC it. 

Hard Chroming, in the firearms sense, is approximately 0.0005" thick on all surfaces.  That reduces clearances by a total of 0.001" (a thou).  We're not talking about tools that'll be used on an oil rig in the North Sea; it doesn't need to be THAT thick like that do in those industries.

I haven't seen any cuts where a "half a thou" would make that big of a difference.  YMMV.