Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 Sizing

D.Hayden

I'm sizing once-fired police brass (mostly Remmington and LC) on a 1050, I'm over camming the sizing die, and still I'm gettting a really rotten amount of brass that won't gauge. (Using a Wilson gauge) It's about 50/50 right now. I'm getting a pretty big batch of practice ammo.

Dillon Sizer

Redding Comp Seater

Dillon Crimp

I'm thinking of getting the Lee FCD for crimping just to get more to pass.

I must have something that's adjusted wrong, but I'm lost.. ideas?

Hey Dave...if you're picking up that brass from where I think you are, it ain't once fired...they're buying their reloaded ammo from a place just down the road from me...I was watching a sheriff's dept swat team a couple of weeks ago unload ammo and saw what sealed boxes they had...I was having a tough time with the .40 they left, then it dawned on me that this is .40 that was reloaded before...

mikey

Try backing off on your sizing die and watch the neck as it is resized. It is harder to explain than to do it. Back off the die and adjust the die down a little bit at a time and you will be able to see the neck as it is sized. Stop when you just kiss the sholder. This may help. Try chamber checking your rejects your checker may be tighter than your chamber. You rejects may be useful for pratice rounds

I ran a couple quick cases, they all dropped fine, beneath the lip..

I got a bad jam partway through the batch, (a primer stuck under the shellplate or something), took everything apart, and when I put it back together, I'm guessing something was wrong before, and when I put everyhting back on, I corrected the problem. I was probably too lax when I started..

• 5 weeks later...

I have yet to fire any of the stuff we sized between me and you. It's still sitting there with the lube on it. I may load some up and see what happens with it. I may run it all through my small base die just to be certain.

Maybe if I remember, i can load some for testing this weekend. We'll see.

Vince

Vince, those are just a hairoff, when I reloaded them, I left the full length size die in, so it would just cam over (Dillon die), with no lube, it resized them just a tad, none stuck (I know - playing with fire), but those went I think 7 rejects out of 500 or so