Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Almost all set up.

Spent some time this weekend getting my new reloading bench and new presses set up in my garage. After I bought the RL1100 I thought I would still use my Lee Loadmaster for some of the calibers I load in smaller quantities. I plan to use the RL1100 for 223 and 9mm. I'm also loading subsonic 300 BLK and just getting into 308. Both of which I was planning to load on the Lee. I had my Loadmaster mounted to the bench and everything and started lamenting about how I can never prime with it because the priming system is just not very reliable. Also, the case feeding system is finicky and the press just requires a bunch of tweaking.  Processing brass on the Loadmaster is a pain because primers are caught inside the ram. Every so often you have to loosen a bolt at the bottom of the ram and open the spent primer release. Well, that bolt also keeps the shell plate carrier in position. So, as you tighten it you have to make sure the shell plate carrier is in the right place, otherwise your indexing is all messed up. So, the obvious solution was to buy an XL750 and retire the Loadmaster. 

I plan to process 223, 9mm, 300 BLK and 308 on the RL1100 because it can swage. Then I'll load 223 and 9mm on the RL1100. 308 and 300 BLK will be loaded on the XL750. I occasionally load 357 Sig, 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 400 CorBon and 40 Super. I'll process and load those on the XL750 as they don't (usually) have crimped primers. And, conversion kits for the XL750 are a lot cheaper than the Rl1100.

I processed 1500 300 BLK cases on the RL1100 and it really took no time at all. Then I loaded 50 300 BLK rounds on the XL750. Just wanted to get a feel for it and shoot those to make sure I'm getting the velocity I'm expecting. I was really happy with the priming system on the 750. I also loaded 50 223 rounds on the 1100. The cases were already primed, a holdover from having to prime cases in a separate step for my Loadmaster. So I disabled swaging and priming. 

All in all, I'm very happy with my two new Dillon presses

20221008_105920_s.jpg

2 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

That is a Profesional looking setup.  I think I’m going to work on mine today, see if I can get organized like that.  Well, I start out organized but it doesn’t always end that way.  LOL

Thanks! No guarantee it'll stay that neat, but I'm going to try. 

very nice set up. very neat and organized.  nothing like mine  ;)

are those multi use cat litter  buckets that I see?

ask me how I know--lol

enjoy your reloading.

Edited by boatdoc173

On 10/14/2022 at 5:09 AM, boatdoc173 said:

very nice set up. very neat and organized.  nothing like mine  ;)

are those multi use cat litter  buckets that I see?

ask me how I know--lol

enjoy your reloading.

Yes, I store all my brass in the used cat litter buckets. Pretty soon I'm going to have to build a storage shed just for my brass. 🤣

My wife told me not to buy the litter in buckets anymore because she feels bad just throwing them away. I told her I haven't thrown a bucket away in 3 years. Having 4 cats requires a bit of litter.

On 10/11/2022 at 7:39 AM, 21 shooter said:

That is a Profesional looking setup.  I think I’m going to work on mine today, see if I can get organized like that.  Well, I start out organized but it doesn’t always end that way.  LOL

Thank you. Although, as I suspected, it has not stayed that organized. Lol

25 minutes ago, ddc said:

I'm sorry but that is way too clean. You need to spill some powder or something... lol.

😁

Already done. I made the mistake of not closing down the large charge bar when I started using it with 223. Powder over flowed from the case when I first tried the powder measure. I'll be cleaning up powder for weeks.

20 hours ago, davidjon_99 said:

Having 4 cats requires a bit of litter.

I am very aware of that. we ha d  up to 18 in the house at one  time.( 39 total in 40 years) now only 3 left and 3 BIG dogs( all shelter adoptees).  I us e  mine  a s  you use yours. dirty brass collectors