Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 mm/38 SC Light Load for Local Matches

IVC

I have two Open guns, one in 38 SC and another in 9 mm Major. I have a stash of N310, N320 and 3N38 that I use for .40 (Limited Major), everything 9 mm minor and 38 SC for Open Major, respectively. From time to time I shoot various local matches that include pistol, mostly without even divisions, certainly no PF requirements. I would like to come up with a puff load for either of the guns using one of the powders I already have.

First question: Is it worth using a slow powder to work the comp, or is it better simply to load a weak 9 mm that doesn't recoil to begin with (and what spring modifications would you do)? 

Second question: What powder and bullet would you use for puff loads, both from the list of what I already have and if you had to choose a new powder? 

Third question: Since Open guns shoot flat, is it even worth developing a puff load or should I just stick to Major that works the comp (keeping in mind that Major uses quite a bit of 3N38)? 

Don't know if this will work for you or not, but I use Sport Pistol for minor 9mm w/147 gr. Blue Bullets.  Sport Pistol is pretty available right now, I think.  It's a nice soft load that works for me in CO.  Hope this helps.

The first thing you have to decide is whether you want to work the comp or not.  I use my backup Open 9mm major gun for minor.  I keep a second recoil setup in the pistol bag.  One piece guide rod, 6V recoil spring and reverse plug already assembled.  When I want to shoot minor I take the major recoil assembly out of the gun and put the minor assembly in.

When I'm serious about minor performance I use 7.0~7.2gr 3N38 under a 124.  Nice and flat and soft.  For outlaw plate shoots, pin matches and the like I just use 115gr 131PF factory.  It isn't as flat, or as soft as the 'real' minor load, but it beats using up precious primers on stuff that doesn't count.  Fortunately, all three loads shoot to the same POI.

Aliant Sport Pistol and N320 are equivalent powders.  If you don't want to use up your 3N38, use N320.  Do a search and you'll find a bazillion recommendations for all bullet weights.  IMO, N310 is way too fast to make PF with a margin.  It is great for 80PF mouse fart loads for PCC in steel challenge.  I shoot 115 JHPs for 9 major.  I used to shoot them for minor.  I switched to 124 RN heavy plate for minor, because I only have 7,000 of the 115s left.  

4 hours ago, Ben53 said:

Don't know if this will work for you or not, but I use Sport Pistol for minor 9mm w/147 gr. Blue Bullets.  Sport Pistol is pretty available right now, I think.  It's a nice soft load that works for me in CO.  Hope this helps.

That's similar to my 9 mm setup, I use 147 BB and N320. The problem is that I wouldn't run coated bullets through the comp, too much headache with fouling. 

1 hour ago, zzt said:

The first thing you have to decide is whether you want to work the comp or not.  I use my backup Open 9mm major gun for minor.  I keep a second recoil setup in the pistol bag.  One piece guide rod, 6V recoil spring and reverse plug already assembled.  When I want to shoot minor I take the major recoil assembly out of the gun and put the minor assembly in.

When I'm serious about minor performance I use 7.0~7.2gr 3N38 under a 124.  Nice and flat and soft.  For outlaw plate shoots, pin matches and the like I just use 115gr 131PF factory.  It isn't as flat, or as soft as the 'real' minor load, but it beats using up precious primers on stuff that doesn't count.  Fortunately, all three loads shoot to the same POI.

Aliant Sport Pistol and N320 are equivalent powders.  If you don't want to use up your 3N38, use N320.  Do a search and you'll find a bazillion recommendations for all bullet weights.  IMO, N310 is way too fast to make PF with a margin.  It is great for 80PF mouse fart loads for PCC in steel challenge.  I shoot 115 JHPs for 9 major.  I used to shoot them for minor.  I switched to 124 RN heavy plate for minor, because I only have 7,000 of the 115s left.  

Great info - thanks!

That's still a lot of 3N38 for minor - what PF do you get with 124s? My primary load is with Montana Gold JHP 124s so I have a bunch of them (also have some 124 RN that are suitable for comp). 

For steel matches (falling, or challenge), if you don't care about follow up shots, N320 9mm loads work fine.  I won a lot of steel challenge matches shooting that.  

If you want better splits and don't mind the cost, drop a lighter bullet (100gr or whatever's handy) and use your major powder load.

15 hours ago, IVC said:

Great info - thanks!

That's still a lot of 3N38 for minor - what PF do you get with 124s? My primary load is with Montana Gold JHP 124s so I have a bunch of them (also have some 124 RN that are suitable for comp). 

I'm not sure what the PF is.  When I was loading 6.8gr 3N38 I got 140 PF.  So it is probably somewhere between 145 and 150 now.  It is as low as I can go and still get 100% reliability.  The factory 115 @ 1145fps eject farther, because that load is not working the comp.

Honestly, the only reason I'm using 3N38 is I have it.  I bought 12 lbs. during the last shortage, while I was building my main Open gun.  Then I discovered I could not fit enough in a 9mm case to make major with a 115 HAP.  If I didn't have so much of it to use up, I'd use Autocomp @ 145PF, or an equivalent powder when I wanted to work the comp.

I have been using Aliant e3 for regular minor loads.  It works extremely well (for 40sw and 45 as well).  Sport Pistol also works well, but has more recoil than e3.