Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P322 Replacement Sights

Stuey

On 10/9/2022 at 12:02 PM, Stuey said:

Does anyone have aftermarket replacement sights for the P322?  Not a big fan of the rear fiber optics on them.  

Haven't seen anything available yet............

FWIW, I installed the Holosun 407K X2, and it works perfectly!  

🤔

2 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Thanks for the info on the Holosun.  I was looking at that one as a potential red dot.  

For the price, it's got a ton of features and bolts up to the P322 without any adapter plates.

However, I did re-mount the optic using the way overpriced Sig mounting screws..................

https://www.sigsauer.com/romeozero-mounting-screw-kit-p365x-or-p365xl.html

Just a bit more stability IMO.......

🤔

Does anyone happen to know which optic with the RMSc footprint has the biggest window?

I plan to acquire a P322 soon and will put an optic on it. I was thinking about the HS407K, but was wondering if there was something with a bigger window available that would cycle reliably. 

Thanks. 

On 10/25/2022 at 6:26 AM, Cuz said:

Does anyone happen to know which optic with the RMSc footprint has the biggest window?

I plan to acquire a P322 soon and will put an optic on it. I was thinking about the HS407K, but was wondering if there was something with a bigger window available that would cycle reliably. 

Thanks. 

I just ordered a Plate from maple leaf to put a RMR on mine. Installs ok a little high as the slide cut doesn’t seem as deep. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it though to verify functionality 

15 minutes ago, Blue Jacket said:

I just ordered a Plate from maple leaf to put a RMR on mine. Installs ok a little high as the slide cut doesn’t seem as deep. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it though to verify functionality 

I will be curious how the P322 runs with that setup.  The RMR is 1.2 oz + the weight of the plate makes it a heavier combo than a traditional RMSc optic.  Most run from 0.4 - 1.0 oz.  I was worried that the HS407K might be too heavy at 1.0 oz with cheap bulk ammo.

16 hours ago, Cuz said:

I will be curious how the P322 runs with that setup.  The RMR is 1.2 oz + the weight of the plate makes it a heavier combo than a traditional RMSc optic.  Most run from 0.4 - 1.0 oz.  I was worried that the HS407K might be too heavy at 1.0 oz with cheap bulk ammo.

A buddy has one with a k on it. Runs fine with bulk. I’ll let you know on the RMR. 

11 hours ago, Blue Jacket said:

A buddy has one with a k on it. Runs fine with bulk. I’ll let you know on the RMR. 

Cool. I just picked up a P322 today. I pulled a 407K off one of my other pistols and mounted it. I hope to get it to the range this week. 

4 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Cool. I just picked up a P322 today. I pulled a 407K off one of my other pistols and mounted it. I hope to get it to the range this week. 

Cuz:

You probably know this; but I just remounted my 407K on the P322 for the third time.  This time was due to sending it back to Sig, and they wanted ANY aftermarket parts taken off before returning.

I again took time to keep forward pressure on the rear of the 407k body while looking through the rear and front iron sights in order to align the red dot directly inline with the fixed sights.  This is during final torque/tightening of the mounting screws.  Seems to have worked just fine and I'll hopefully confirm by checking the sights this week.

I learned during my first mounting experience there is enough wiggle room in the way the 407k mounts to the P322's slide cut-out to allow the dot to be skewed to one side or the other.  Understandable with no mounting and/or recoil lugs on the mating surfaces..........

HTHs!

:)

On 10/30/2022 at 10:14 PM, HOGRIDER said:

Cuz:

You probably know this; but I just remounted my 407K on the P322 for the third time.  This time was due to sending it back to Sig, and they wanted ANY aftermarket parts taken off before returning.

I again took time to keep forward pressure on the rear of the 407k body while looking through the rear and front iron sights in order to align the red dot directly inline with the fixed sights.  This is during final torque/tightening of the mounting screws.  Seems to have worked just fine and I'll hopefully confirm by checking the sights this week.

I learned during my first mounting experience there is enough wiggle room in the way the 407k mounts to the P322's slide cut-out to allow the dot to be skewed to one side or the other.  Understandable with no mounting and/or recoil lugs on the mating surfaces..........

HTHs!

Thanks for the info. I’m not too concerned about that as I already removed the front sight. As long as the dot is mounted securely and appears to be centered, I’m good. I’ve got it dialed in, but only put about 50 rounds through it. I’ll keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t loosen up or drift as I shoot it more over the winter. It definitely is a fun gun to shoot, with iron sights or red dot. 
I always remove all the sights from any range/competition pistol once I mount a red dot. 

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

I always remove all the sights from any range/competition pistol once I mount a red dot. 

Ha!  Thought I was the only one to do that!

As a fairly new RDS user that LOVES the platform, I have found the front sight is a bit of a distraction; especially on range/fun guns!  Guess I realized this after getting the P320 MAX...........

BTW:  Did you notice the pin/retainer for the FO rod on that front sight?  That was a first for me!  Especially on an entry level pistol!

SMH!

😉

3 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

As a fairly new RDS user that LOVES the platform, I have found the front sight is a bit of a distraction; especially on range/fun guns!  Guess I realized this after getting the P320 MAX...........

BTW:  Did you notice the pin/retainer for the FO rod on that front sight?  That was a first for me!  Especially on an entry level pistol!

SMH!

😉

Yes, front sight is too much of a distraction and takes up precious window space. 
I did notice the retainer pin but I don’t like it. I prefer the Dawson Precision method of melting the ends in place with a lighter. It would suck to lose that piece. I packaged up the front sight and rear sight/mounting plate and stuck them safely away. They are now backups to the P322 that I’m keeping iron sights on. Yeah, I ended up getting 2 of them. One has the dot mounted and the other I’ll keep with the stock sights. 

5 minutes ago, Cuz said:

I did notice the retainer pin but I don’t like it. I prefer the Dawson Precision method of melting the ends in place with a lighter. It would suck to lose that piece. I packaged up the front sight and rear sight/mounting plate and stuck them safely away.

My sentiments exactly!  While looking for a mini-zip lock to put the front sight in, I happen to come back to the bench and there was the very small pin that had fallen out and released the FO rod!  And my first thought was why not retain the FO rod with a lighter like Dawson does?  Way over-engineered IMO...........

🤔

• 4 months later...
On 11/1/2022 at 11:00 AM, HOGRIDER said:

SMH!

😉

Front sight post shouldn’t be a factor if you’re using the RDS ‘correctly’. With iron sights you’re forced to focus on and align 3 focal points to aim… rear sight, front sight, target. With an RDS you only need to focus on the target/objective. Plus, if you’re shooting RDS with both eyes open and focused on your target/objective the front sight post should become basically invisible to your dominant eye. Has something to do with how your visual cortex processes the data better from your dominant eye. 

6 hours ago, TJinAZ said:

Front sight post shouldn’t be a factor if you’re using the RDS ‘correctly’. With iron sights you’re forced to focus on and align 3 focal points to aim… rear sight, front sight, target. With an RDS you only need to focus on the target/objective. Plus, if you’re shooting RDS with both eyes open and focused on your target/objective the front sight post should become basically invisible to your dominant eye. Has something to do with how your visual cortex processes the data better from your dominant eye. 

no matter what, it still takes up some window real estate. I just don’t care for them on a range toy or my competition pistols. I have a 2nd P322 with iron sights if I want to shoot that instead. 

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

no matter what, it still takes up some window real estate. I just don’t care for them on a range toy or my competition pistols. I have a 2nd P322 with iron sights if I want to shoot that instead. 

Agree!

For me, the front sight will definitely show up in the window; and is a distraction IMO.  Would rather concentrate on only one optic/dot that I have to overlay on the target.

LO Comp pistol I have ordered comes setup with NO front sight when using the RDS........

👍

On 10/29/2022 at 3:01 PM, Cuz said:

I have 407K on mine and runs with CCI standard velocity ammo

10 hours ago, Cuz said:

Don’t think of RDS as a ‘sight’ that you need to look through to aim with. Just think of it as just a piece of glass with a dot on it that you hold up and superimpose over your target. Also, If you’re shooting with both eyes open the front sight post should be almost invisible to you…just like when you hold a finger up in front of the computer or TV and you can ‘see through it’. Try training with the window taped up.. it will force you to use both eyes and look past your RDS…

Edited by TJinAZ