Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Learn Spanish On Cd's?

Since it's become the unofficial second language of the US, I'd like to learn Spanish.

Has anyone used the CD learning courses to use Spanish or any other language? If so:

* is it effective/does it work?

* which specific CD course did you use?

Gracious amigos!

Cy

Edited by chp5

Cy,

If the pronunciation is correct, then it's not a bad thing and does help. I used Russian and Spanish tapes (CD's weren't available then). Both provided excellent sources of learning how to properly pronounce words and phrases. They also will help you with your listening comprehension skills.

I also used these methods during my brief association with Mandarin Chinese a couple of years ago. I am still trying to learn the written language, on a sporadic basis, but the spoken language evades me.

All of my language materials were provided by the government.

Liota

Edited by Liota

I grabbed one of those "learn Spanish in your car" CD sets on discount a while back (I think Pimsleur, but would have to check). After 10 lessons, you're at the "Donde esta el banos?" "Quanto cuesta?" "No tengo tiempo, senorita" kind of level-- it'll get you by, but you'll be short a lot of the vocabulary and verb tenses, and will know nothing of spelling unless you study those elsewhere. Lots better than nothing, but you won't be gabbing away with the native speakers.

Rosetta stone is suposedly very good but pretty pricey.

Yep, it's around $200 for the course. It's a computer learning course. I bought a "learn spanish in your car" audio CD course off eBay for about $30. It has 8 CDs and is probably similar to Shred's course. I'll report back after I've used it.

BTW - interesting side note. I took Spanish in Jr. High. Our teacher had a side business of raising and selling big cats (e.g., tigers, leapards, etc.). He did not show up for class for several days. A neighbor found him - apparently mauled by one of his leapards. He was a great guy. RIP.

Thanks.

Cy

The best Spanish lesson I got was in Cozumel from the waiter at the bar / resturant across the street from the dive shop. Great kid, hell of a sense of humor.

When I ordered two beers, dos cervezas, his reply was ...

'Dos' is an operating system, 'dose' is how many beers you want.

My best advice is to find someone in your neighborhood, preferably someone older, who is willing to converse in your newly-learned language. Most older folks here and anyone in other countries is thrilled that you are at least trying to speak their native language. Of course, expect in other countries to be drilled on your English. It happened to me in Japan. The school kids wanted to speak English. I wanted to speak Japanese. We got along alright, except for their giggling every time I uttered a word. The only thing I could figure was that their two-year-old siblings spoke better Japanese than me. No problem. :)

Liota