Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Type & Charge For 40sw In Glock 22 Using 180 Gr Jhp Xtp

papermaker76

You can go to this link. http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/documents/hl40sw.pdf

Great resource. I have been using 4.4-4.6 grains of Titegroup with the bullet seated out to 1.145". I would suggest starting at the "starting load" from Hodgdon's website- http://www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/40sw.php and work your way up, watching signs of high pressure. A longer OAL will reduce the pressure in the load.

I think those are actually max loads on Hodgdon's site. Check their manual. I don't have mine handy, but the starting load with 180gr. bullets is 4.0 or 4.2gr. of Titegroup, if I recall. Start low and chrono! Watch that OAL with .40.

I have a new Glock 22 in 40SW & I'm looking for powder type and charge recommendations for use with Hornady XTP JHP 180 gr. bullets.

Thanks for your suggestions.

papermaker76

I use 5.3g of Power pistol with a 180 g TC Plated bullet just makes major.

al

• 3 weeks later...
4.2grs is the min for TG, thier loads are listed as being for max on thier website and to reduce them by 10%. From what ive heard 1.135 OAL for Glocks feeds the best.

When I use 4.2 grs of TG with a Zero 180gr JHP set to 1.135 it is a softer shooting load however the shot to shot vertical grouping is about 4 inches at 15yrds.

Using the exact same gun at the same distance with a S&B, Remington or any other 180 gr bullet shot a quarter size hole.

It seems that TG loaded down does not shoot well. This has also been varified independently by two others shooters. One shoots 9mm and one shoot .40

Edited by 45gunner

4.2grs is the min for TG, thier loads are listed as being for max on thier website and to reduce them by 10%. From what ive heard 1.135 OAL for Glocks feeds the best.

When I use 4.2 grs of TG with a Zero 180gr JHP set to 1.135 it is a softer shooting load however the shot to shot vertical grouping is about 4 inches at 15yrds.

Using the exact same gun at the same distance with a S&B, Remington or any other 180 gr bullet shot a quarter size hole.

It seems that TG loaded down does not shoot well. This has also been varified independently by two others shooters. One shoots 9mm and one shoot .40

I tracked the problem down to inconsistant loads due to not enough powder in the hopper to always drop the same about in the brass. So TG is fine.

45gunner...I was wonering what problems you were having. Glad you got it figured out.

I use TiteGroup and 180's (Zero JHP's) at Major and also at Minor power factor.

Accuracy is good enough out of the Glock to win. I never even have to think/worry about the accuracy of my loads.

I think those are actually max loads on Hodgdon's site. Check their manual. I don't have mine handy, but the starting load with 180gr. bullets is 4.0 or 4.2gr. of Titegroup, if I recall. Start low and chrono! Watch that OAL with .40.

Yes, 4.6 grains is the max published load, but when I seated the bullet out to 1.145" I needed to up the powder to make major. The load really seemed to like the longer OAL so I went with it. 1.145" OAL seem to furnish the most accuracy in my set-up.

• 3 weeks later...