Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2006 Uspsa Revolver Nationals

Carmoney

Aerosign,

I also shoot a 686 6inch, I had Clark cut the cylinder for moon clips (took about three week) I am using Tk custom moonclips in it and remington brass, and have had zero problems, as for my minor load I am using the Raineer 158gr round nose, with 5 grains of unique, it will chrono about 850 a little hot for minor but does not give problems with droppen steel. Hope this helps

Luke

Hop:

You'll be happy to know that I am shooting the wheelgun again this year at majors. I got a Bedell limited gun, but the club travel team needs a revo guy, and I am committing to the match scedule for 2006. I will be at Area 5, Michigan State, Ohio State, Targeting Education, Summer Blast, Indiana State, Kentucky State, Nationals, and maybe Area 8. I can't wait to shoot with you guys again. Taking a little time off RO'ing and just shooting will be fun. I'm only working at two of the above matches.

Jeff

Viva le Revolver!!!

Aerosign,

I also shoot a 686 6inch, I had Clark cut the cylinder for moon clips (took about three week) I am using Tk custom moonclips in it and remington brass, and have had zero problems, as for my minor load I am using the Raineer 158gr round nose, with 5 grains of unique, it will chrono about 850 a little hot for minor but does not give problems with droppen steel. Hope this helps

Luke

Luke,

Would you say that your reloads are faster with the moons, instead of comp III's?

Did you have your cylinder polished and chamfered also?

Overall, I would imagine your happy with the switch?

Thanks for the reply.

Jim

Aerosign,

To tell true, I am not sure the moon clip is faster than the comp 3, I think that with enough practice, eather one will work, but the learning curve for the moon clips is faster. I have found that the unloading is faster with the moon clips cause everything comes out at once, I have had the evil brass under the star, like what happend at the last stage in the South Florida match :wacko: , problem is there's just no "gracefull" way of getting around that. Moon clips makes brass recovery easy, with fewer losses. I do have my 686 cylinder polished and chamfered, I think it is a must have for this type of shooting. Over all I do enjoy the change I made, and would do it again. However, the question comes up why not just buy a 625, and be done with it. For me, 686 is a better fit, the way it points, frame size, grips and all the little things that go into making a revolver that YOU enjoy to shoot, because you are going to be spending lots of time with it.

Luke

Aerosign,

I shot a ruger GP100 before I switched to Moonclip guns, I used the Comp 2 loaders(IDPA)

I also have shot a moonclipped 686.

What I have found out is the monnclips offer more consitancy in the reloads.

Reload time on both are pretty much even IF you just keep track of the fastest.

Now if you averaged 10 of each the moonclip gun will be on the average for me about a quarter second faster.

Now think about that, a quarter second average on every reload.

If you have a five stage match, with say a total of 15 reloads in the match.....

15+.25=2.75 seconds saved for the match. :huh:

Doesn't sound like much but think like this.....

you step up to the line on the first stage of the match and you are already 2.75 seconds behind the guy shooting the moocliped 686 and you with a speed loader....and he/she has not even shot yet.

I have heard of a kit being offered to do the job yourself (If you have access to a precision drill press or even better a mill) but I don't know where.

If it was me, there are to many 625s out there to bother with the 686, Keep it like it is and find a 625.....good going price for a good used one is 400 dollars and up.

It will run you 100 or so to have your 686 converted over.

PLUS......everyone needs both a 686 and a 625 ;)

Now if you are like me (until here recently) and are not worried about how well you do and all the other stuff we place on ourselves just shoot the gun as is, have fun go out and shoot with all your buddies and just have a large time. :)

We all know winning is just a bonus or something like that. <_<

Sorry for the long post I kind of ramble at times, plus I'm still not very good with one of these things but hoping to be a little "above average" one of these days. :wacko:

Hopalong

Since this is the Revolver Nationals we are talking about, and last year there were several of the Usual suspects NOT there, maybe we need to get after those and others to participate this year............... ;)

So I'll start with Zookeeper, he is a past attendee of the Nationals.....Jack go ahead and plan it now!!!! Take Wed, Thur, Friday off...Saturday if you need to depending on your shift.

AND..............

Hey Airedale, it is only 3 days of the week this year!!!!!! Tell the big man you will be gone for 3 days in September.....The Coondogs won't miss you in that short of time. ;)

Sure would like to see both of your smiling faces in Barry in SEPTEMBER :wub:

Hopalong

• 2 weeks later...
Luke,

Would you say that your reloads are faster with the moons, instead of comp III's?

Did you have your cylinder polished and chamfered also?

Overall, I would imagine your happy with the switch?

Thanks for the reply.

Jim

I have a 586 (the blue one) and I'm very happy with my moonclips. But this could also be because I hate speedloaders.

I got only my cylinder modified.

Why don't you load major??? It's okay ... perhaps a little bit hotter than .45 with same factor but okay. As my hands are too small for a 625, I don't really have the choice ;)

greetings

Agnes

Agnes of the World Shoot? Gentlemen, the lady shoots a 586 very well. As I recall, 200 grain lead roundnose, with some super-special German coating on them. The load is so soft looking and sounding that I at first thought she was shooting Minor.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes Patrick, thats her.... :) It´s always funny to see some guys faces when the match is over and a special lady has left them behind.... :P

btw, here´s a link to a post with a link to the bullet manufacturer (H&N) and a description of that load:

benos thread

H&N has also a distributor in USA!

regards,

Sascha

And of course - Hi Agnes! B)

Agnes of the World Shoot? Gentlemen, the lady shoots a 586 very well. As I recall, 200 grain lead roundnose, with some super-special German coating on them. The load is so soft looking and sounding that I at first thought she was shooting Minor.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the compliment Patrick :)B):)

In Ecuador I shot the same load as Sascha usually does and it's a very good one.