Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame mount placement

lroy

I've had an issue with ejected brass stovepiping after hitting my optic mount. It's not very often (once a match) but enough to be annoying. Would there be an issue with moving the mount forward one screw slot ( using 4 screws instead of 5) to allow for more clearance? 

Could you move it forward a hole? Likely yes, but that seems a lot like having a tire going flat and rather than fix it move the load around in the car so you don't have to, it may work for a while but the underlying problem is probably going to still cause problems eventually.

Probably a better plan to fix the ejection issue. 

I went with a side mount. So I didn't change the relative location of the dot. 

If you move the mount forward it's going to be leveraged more during recoil. Think the worst place you could put your dot would in the on very front of the slide. The best location I think would be right where the wrist breaks. You want the Dot at the middle of the seesaw. Moving it forward isn't the ideal place for it. 

Now, you can tune around the gun with your load. I tried that a first and it worked, but it went away from a load that I preferred to have. 

So I was able to simply move the dot to the side, removed any overhanging obstruction from the ejection port, and go back to my preferred load. 

6 hours ago, Snoopy47 said:

I went with a side mount. So I didn't change the relative location of the dot. 

If you move the mount forward it's going to be leveraged more during recoil. Think the worst place you could put your dot would in the on very front of the slide. The best location I think would be right where the wrist breaks. You want the Dot at the middle of the seesaw. Moving it forward isn't the ideal place for it. 

+++ this. @lroytry to tune your ejector and extractor to fix this. Moving the dot forward will increase perceived dot movement. I think this is why people think sv imm open guns are so “flat” the dot is placed pretty far back and perceived dot movement is a little less than other more forward placing mounts.