Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Reloading Press To Buy?

Rosshooting

Powerman - Does this $250 include shipping to Bulgaria as well? That could eat up a good bit of your budget by itself.

You didn't say how much ammunition you want to load. If you're an IPSC/IDPA shooter, you'll need a progressive press, and I'll join the majority of people here and recommend a Dillon. If you have to stay within $250, you'll have to find one used.

If you don't need a great deal of ammo each month, you can get a "single stage" press for a lot less money. Lee makes a good one that's relatively inexpensive.

Most European shooters use American reloading equipment, so this isn't going to be cheap. Good luck!

I will agree with almost everybody else BUY A DILLON. I bought a Square Deal at first. It is a good press but then got a 650 and have not looked back since. Also as previously mentioned the customer service is the best of any company I have ever delt with in or out of the shooting sports. Save up and buy it right the first time.

In addition I was just on E-Bay and saw a Square Deal already set up for .45. The current bid was $105. Just do a search for Dillon and go to page 3. If budget is that important it might be something you want to look at.

Edited by ctgun

Watch the classifed adds. I picked up my Dillon SDB two years ago for $200.00 off of the USPSA web site. Over 30,000 rounds and still going. :D

Robbie

I thought you only used WOLF. Are you reloading your steel cases? ;)

I loaded for 10 years on a Hornady. It is well-engineered, and certainly durable, and once you get the indexing pawls adjusted (!) it can be reliable.

All my friends kept telling me how much better the Dillon was, and I didn't believe them at first. Sure, some things about the Hornady annoyed me, like.... the lack of a case feeder, and the relative lack of economical accessories (at the time, primer tubes were nearly 10 bucks *each*) But, as much as I wanted a Dillon, I kept telling myself I couldn't justify replacing the Hornady until it broke.

It never did break... so, about 5 years ago I bought a 650 anyway. Having loaded on both, I can confidently assert that the Dillon is the better tool for the job. I'd never go back.

Bruce

I've owned both and like the Hornady better. Go figure.

I thought you only used WOLF. Are you reloading your steel cases?

No never tried loading any steel cases, but don't give me any ideas. <_< I just purchased another SDB off of ebay for $200.00 in 9mm. I was going to get a caliber conversion, but when I compared the price of the conversion to another loader it was a no brainier. No down time changing parts, I just slide my chair over and get going.

i have two square deals and a 550, the 550 gathers dust...i can load the 9mms, supers 45s, and 40s faster on the square deal..plus i have a press set up for 45 ONLY. the square deal is fine for most pistol rounds, but if you only plan on buying one press and you plan on loading rifle ammo, buy the 550.

• 2 weeks later...

For the money, you have available, You should be looking on the boards and e-bay for a used Dillon Square Deal B. I habve been hoping to pick up a used 550 for $230-250 for a couple of years now, but they always go for more.

PS: I cracked the frame on my SDB over Christmas. If it had been a pro 1000, I'd be looking for a new press now. Since it was a Dillon, They said "send it back"

It looks as good as new now and they did it all for free.