Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt Style AR Feeding Problems

I was hoping someone would be able to help me here as I haven't been able to find any solutions that have helped. I have a Colt style 9mm AR I built that has had a lot of feeding issues since I built it, I have gotten it down to about 1-2 malfunctions per magazine but only load 28 out of 32 any more and its almost guaranteed to have a failure after the first round is fired, I cannot get through a magazine without failure. It is having failures to feed, double feeds and some weird ones that send rounds above the bolt. I also have a mag that has a Taylor Freelance extension that will feed nothing out of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Parts list and loads are listed below.

CMMG MK9 lower

Gibbz Arms side charge upper

Odin Works ultra light barrel

Taccom Extreme short stroke bolt

Kaw Valley Precision PCC XP buffer spring

Odin Works 9mm adjustable buffer(have tried each configuration with no difference in reliability)

Have tried a standard CMMG 9mm buffer(no difference from the Odin buffer)

Hiperfire Hipertouch Eclipse trigger

Metal Form Colt SMG mags with Taylor Freelance springs and followers

The last couple loads I have been trying were 115gr plated round nose with either Win 244 or VV 3N38

I have tried loads with 115,124, and 147 gr bullets with Win 244, CFE Pistol, VV 3N38, and Titegroup as well as multiple factory loads and have not seen any difference in reliability as a result of ammunition.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I had a CMMG Colt style 9mm lower that never ran consistently enough for competition.  My Hahn and Spikes 9mm AR15 Colt mag adapters ran far better than the CMMG 9mm lower.  I sent it back to CMMG but it still had fairly consistent FTF problems.

I eventually switched to a Glock style platform (JP) and all problems basically disappeared. 

CMMG Nov 16 jam.jpg

2 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Probably not what you want to hear, but I had a CMMG Colt style 9mm lower that never ran consistently enough for competition.  My Hahn and Spikes 9mm AR15 Colt mag adapters ran far better than the CMMG 9mm lower.  I sent it back to CMMG but it still had fairly consistent FTF problems.

I eventually switched to a Glock style platform (JP) and all problems basically disappeared. 

CMMG Nov 16 jam.jpg

That looks very familiar...I'm up to try any possible solutions at this point, I'll probably stop by my FFL tomorrow and pick up the spikes lower they have and see if that helps at all.

20 hours ago, dwzuspsa said:

I would switch over to a Taccom barrel with the intregal feed ramp and top hood on the barrel....run one in one of my builds and have had one failure in 4-5000 rounds....Tim make good stuff.

The failures actually mostly happen before the rounds are even out of the mag and bind up on the back of the feed ramp, I thought about getting one of those but waited to see what exactly what issues I was having and realized it probably wouldn't help much.

On 7/18/2022 at 2:40 PM, Tampa-XD45 said:

CMMG Nov 16 jam.jpg

Thanks for the tip I picked up a Glock lower today and at least cycling by hand it feeds flawless, hopefully that takes care of the issues.