Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope on Flattop

Rich Bagoly

TAPCO (not usually a company I recommend) has flat top risers for $9 to $14. I am satisfied with mine. Their service is good, but many of their products are junk; the riser is an exception.

On my open AR, I have an Accuracy Speaks extended rail which is a longer weaver-style rail that bolts on to the top of a flat-top receiver.  The rail is longer than the receiver and goes out over the handguard.  The AS rail raises the scope so you don't need super-high rings.  It also allows for proper eye relief as you can put the scope farther forward than on a normal receiver.

I then use Leupold QRW rings.

I have a BSquare on mine A3 and use cheapo rings for right now.  It is pretty good but the eye relief is an issue.  Accuracy Speaks makes a great riser, as Kellyn stated it allows the scope to move forward so the scope is adjusted to your style of holding the AR rather than having to adjust to the scope.  

The cheapy rings are because I haven't decided between a scope and red dot.  I keep switching them out.  I went to KMart and purchased a $50 Bushnell Variable to try out.  Low investment before I decide to buy a serious scope and rings.  

Is your front sight on your AR?  With the riser I use either low or medium height rings to clear the front sight.

I like Leupold rings.  They can cost as much as $50 but most are in the $25 range.

On my open AR flat-top I have a GG&G scout length rail that hangs over the handguard about 2", a 3-9x42 scope with Leupold quick detach rings and a Grams Engineering rifle dot mount, so my Aimpoint is mounted at a 2 o-clock on the scope.

www.gramseng.com

jhgtyre, Good Advice.

I am in the beginning stages of learning the long gun.  I am trying to experiment with iron, dots, and scopes in practice.  Actually 'beginning' is being kind.  I can pound steel plates, prone at 300-400 meters with a scope for fun but in a 3gun match, I am  just learning to set a stable platform(read-sucks!!).  Hence, I am working on that before I really make a decision about sights.  This way I can experiment before I spend the bucks on better sights.

Shotgunning is pretty striaght forward-Benelli, 21" vent rib, fiber optic front sight, DMW extension and bolt handle-sound familar Beven?

I use a BSquare riser on my flatop. I use an Aimpoint and a Burris 4X compact. Although I find the Aimpoint on the gun 95% of the time. I do use Leupold quick release weaver (QRW) rings. I believe they are high. I dont remember exactly. The QRW rings allow one to change optics without running to the range to re zero every time. For me , that is a big plus.