Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope ring elevation adjustment help?

gerritm

I changed scopes in my Ruger PRS 22 I went from a 50mm to a 56mm objective lens using the same Weaver standard 30mm cantilever mount. 

With the old scope I could zero with all the elevation adjustment down to about 1"  high at 25 yards. About the same at 50. The new scope is about 6" high at 25 yards now using the same mount with elevation turned all the way down. I have about 1/4 of an inch from the bottom front of the scope and touching the handguard. I know I need to go with a lower mount or rings, but not sure what to get without guessing. 

A couple of local matches we shoot dime silhouettes at 25 yards & suckers at 50. So would like to get close to the 25 yard zero like before.

Can you shim the back ring down enough? Brownells sells a scope shim kit for 30MM rings. Or go with a new set of separate rings. Is there a measurement that I can use to get the correct height of rings?

Thanks, gerritm

Change to a cantilever mount with built in 20moa like the one from Warne Scope Mounts, or you might be able to change the base on the receiver to one with a built in cant like the 30moa base I use from Area419 on my CZ 457.

I would not try to shim the scope mount.

Thanks. Upon further review this Burris RT-25 5x25 has sort of a complicated zero stop on elevation. I thought I had it set as low as it would go, but now not sure. Played around with it and the actual zero stop may not have been where it would allow me to get the 25 yard or 50 yard zero. Will check at the range and get back. Although reading reviews on the 30MOA rail most say it will not get that zero, designed for longer range. I am not too worried about running out of elevation at the distances I will shoot this 22.

gerritm

12 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Just to be sure, you've checked that there isn't a zero stop that you're bottoming out on? Sounds silly, but 9 times in 10 that's the answer to these threads.