Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does My Fired Brass/Primer Look Ok?

Michael303

I'm hoping to get some input on how the primers look on my fired brass.  Particularly, is there a high pressure situation going on that could be causing a reliability issue? 

I was dealing with what I estimated to be light strikes in a 1911 I was building.   When a few other people, who I'd consider more knowledgeable than me, saw the fired brass they were convinced the problem was coming from a high pressure situation that was causing the firing pin hole to clog up with metal bits and slow down the firing pin.  Eventually I was able to measure the hammer spring weight and found it was closer to 13 lbs rather than the 17 lbs it was labeled and swapping it out has since resolved the issue but I want to get some feedback and see if there is an issue here that just hasn't caught up to me yet.

This load is 3.3gr of N320 under a 147gr Black Bullets projectile with an overall length of 1.140.  This brass came out of a double stack 1911 but I've shot thousands of rounds of this load through my Glocks and it looks the same and has never given me trouble.  You can see the primers are cratering a bit but I see no flattening.

Any feedback is appreciated.  I'm not convinced that there's a high pressure issue here but I'm open to being wrong.

First picture is this load out of the 1911 and one of my Glocks (gen 5).

Second picture is some factory ammo out of the 1911.

Third picture is more of this load out of the 1911.

PXL_20220322_052013164.MP_2.jpg

PXL_20220328_230102552.MP.jpg

PXL_20220327_042306701_2.jpg

Nothing wrong with your brass. Light strike issues tend to be about springs, firing pins and hardness of primers. 

Do a full polish of firing pin, make sure hammer moves smoothly and doesn’t bind, finally since you are doing the build (?) make sure barrel is in battery and locked fully up. 

This load is 3.3gr of N320 under a 147gr Black Bullets projectile with an overall length of 1.140.  This brass came out of a double stack 1911 but I've shot thousands of rounds of this load through my Glocks and it looks the same and has never given me trouble.  You can see the primers are cratering a bit but I see no flattening.

Any feedback is appreciated.  I'm not convinced that there's a high pressure issue here but I'm open to being wrong.

@Michael303If your not experiencing any bullet setback during chambering of the rounds, I can assure you this load is not a high pressure one!

And I agree with @HesedTech, it looks like a spring and/or lockup issue with the fire control system.

Good luck with your build!

13 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Nothing wrong with your brass. Light strike issues tend to be about springs, firing pins and hardness of primers. 

12 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

And I agree with @HesedTech, it looks like a spring and/or lockup issue with the fire control system.

Thank you both for the feedback.  I examined every part of the gun I could without luck.   I finally bought a spring testing kit from Atlas and the spring that came with my EGW ignition kit was supposed to be 17 lbs but actually measured more like 13 lbs.  I swapped it out for a Wolff 17 lb spring that actually measured 17 lbs and I haven't had a problem since.  I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else going on.  This is a fairly middle-of-the-road load though so it would have surprised me.

16 hours ago, Edwards30 said:

They all look fine to me as far as signs of pressure. Here is an extreme example of what over pressure can look like. 

14 hours ago, hiker88 said:

Looks fine to me

Thank you both for the feedback.