Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lubricating gas system on VR-80?

AKJD

On my VEPR I never use oil on the gas system, different system on VR-80.  Reading through the mega VR-80 thread it seems most are not lubricating the gas system.  I ran across this video and it states to lubricate the gas system.  I have been running mine without oil but this made me think about it.  What are your experiences with and without oil on the gas system?

I learned the hard way that doing this based on the video is OK in normal circumstances. Shot a falling steel match couple of weeks ago in a very sandy old sand pit with winds blowing 20mph plus. Several of us were shooting VR80's and as the match progressed they all started developing problems with cycling. By the end of the match mine was basically a bolt gun had to hand cycle it almost every shot. Several others were similar. My one shooting buddy's had very few problems. 

When I got home I tore it completely apart. The gas piston area was completely covered in sand and grit blocking the ports along with the chamber and not allowing the piston/BCG to move freely. The sand was sticking to the oil. I asked him what the difference was and he used a dry silicone lube on the gas area and the rails. Part of my problem is the way it sits on my gun cart and the wheels kick up the sand right by the barrel and gas system.

I bought a gun sock and will use a dry silicone lube from now on especially at the super windy sandy matches. We have several ranges here in Texas that are really bad on windy days.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

You know I have shot many many thousands of rounds thru my MKA T&N built 1919 with very few problems/malfunctions other than a few broken parts over the years. maybe I was lucky. Decided to go with the VR80 due to my granddaughter going to open and hers runs so well. I built all of our PCC's & AR's and service our CZ's and his STI with little or no malfunctions. My rep is our guns always work and if hers don't I get mucho grief. She is a very good shooter. 

But my VR80 has been a learning experience. Totally different from hers in some specs including the mag well area and mag fitment there. Even though I have duplicated all the same aftermarket parts as in hers. 

I swear mine was made on a Monday by a hung over Turk. With all the little issues. But keep sorting them out 1 by 1 and the MKA is still in the safe just in case.

gerritm

I'll have to pick up some dry lube and try it.  I'll be shooting my first match with the VR-80 this weekend and still trying to sort some things out.  No matter what I try cannot get the TACCOM extension to work on the 19 round magazine, I'm sure I will get there just haven't found the sweet spot yet.  Gun seems to be running well but until it makes it through a couple matches I wont trust it.  I will have my VEPR there for a back up.  

1 hour ago, AKJD said:

I'll have to pick up some dry lube and try it.  I'll be shooting my first match with the VR-80 this weekend and still trying to sort some things out.  No matter what I try cannot get the TACCOM extension to work on the 19 round magazine, I'm sure I will get there just haven't found the sweet spot yet.  Gun seems to be running well but until it makes it through a couple matches I wont trust it.  I will have my VEPR there for a back up.  

i completely understand about reliability, but I shoot it in the local matches as much as possible to find these little problems, because like all guns it always works in practice until the buzzer goes off. 

If you are not worried about sand & grit oil is fine. No grease. 

I have played with the Taccom plus 5 extension and have it running about 99%. I took the BHO out of the follower and cleaned up the follower top & and bottom by polishing the edges. I also took where the extension locks over the tabs on the mag and slightly beveled in there also. My buddy running his did the same. Sad thing is my beat up T&N 24 rounder that I have had forever for the MKA runs perfect in my grandaughtes VR. Runs good in mine but won't drop free. I had to do a little modifying on that. 

gerritm

7 hours ago, gerritm said:

I have played with the Taccom plus 5 extension and have it running about 99%. I took the BHO out of the follower and cleaned up the follower top & and bottom by polishing the edges. I also took where the extension locks over the tabs on the mag and slightly beveled in there also. My buddy running his did the same. Sad thing is my beat up T&N 24 rounder that I have had forever for the MKA runs perfect in my grandaughtes VR. Runs good in mine but won't drop free. I had to do a little modifying on that. 

gerritm

Magazines are tuned, just hanging up somewhere that I haven't figured out yet.