Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on primer seating issue...

PaleoMan

Hi!

Using a Dillon 650 with Fiocchi small pistol primers. With a variety of case brands, I seem to have no issues (I sort my cases by brand, so I have batches with the same brand). Last weekend I made about 700 rounds, of which about 300 were with what I thought were Federal cases (picked from the range). I had eight where the primer would not seat, even though the old primer seemed to be removed just fine.  Looking closer, it looks like all the failed cases had a head stamp with "FC" (and I think a number to the right) versus others, which had "<dot>F C<dot>".

Are those possibly different brands?

Any idea why the primer won't seat all the way (it would end up crushed, if I tried to fully seat)?

Attached is a snapshot of the ones that seemed to work (left) and the ones that did not (right).

IMG_1618.JPG

There's a crimp in the pocket in it for LE/MIL use. Happens to me as well but 1050 swages it. You can get a small primer pocket reamer and attach to drill to get it out or but a Dillon super swage 600 and do it by hand when you run into them. 

Edited by Rnlinebacker

23 hours ago, jubi351 said:

FC 18 and FC 19 are military brass with crimped primers.

Ah that makes sense as to why the "F C" have no issues and the "FC" ones do. I'll likely just skip using the "FC" ones. I've got plenty of brass to use and I probably only have encountered a dozen or so of those cases.