Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger IV bolt Vs Volqs

Squirrel45

Hi All, 

I know this topic has been killed many times but is there really any advantage to the Volqs bolt over the stock? Im told by some that you dont need to lube these? Also does it weigh more or less then the stock? 

thanks 

Squirrel 

Edited by Squirrel45

I have no direct experience with the Ruger bolt, only this tidbit of info: when i asked Steve Foster his advice on parts for the VolKrak, he highly recommended spending the extra money and getting the Volquartsen bolt. I'm really glad i did, as it glides glass smooth in the upper.

I’ve run both bolts to their limit, and so long as you keep everything clean lubed and replace internals each year, you’ll most likely never have a problem. Is the vq bolt higher quality, by a long shot it is. But the factory bolt can get the job done.

I like the VQ bolt better for the knob making it easier to rack without pinching my fingers.  I also find it to be slicker that the stock bolt.  It's easier to clean, just wipe with a patch and  you don't have to oil it.

The VQ bolt also comes with their extractor and firing pin.  Both are better then OEM parts.  The extractor is cut at a better angle to insure it grips the case and the firing pin is lihter giving you faster and more reliable ignition.

4 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I like the VQ bolt better for the knob making it easier to rack without pinching my fingers.  I also find it to be slicker that the stock bolt.  It's easier to clean, just wipe with a patch and  you don't have to oil it.

The VQ bolt also comes with their extractor and firing pin.  Both are better then OEM parts.  The extractor is cut at a better angle to insure it grips the case and the firing pin is lihter giving you faster and more reliable ignition.

Hi Steve, 

I have the 6" mamba upper and currently running the stock bolt. Yesterday a friend of mine loaned me his VQ bolt to try. When I put it in the upper it does move without binding but is not a tight as the stock bolt. Would this looseness be considered normal? 

thanks

Squirrel

I have had and worked on a good number of Ruger pistols. I had one OEM bolt that was bad and had it replaced. I also had a VQ bolt that had terrible machine work and dimensions that were off. VQ replaced that bolt with another that was better but still disappointing especially since the gun had nothing but jams with the VQ bolt. I put the bolt in another reliable gun and the jams followed it. I tried switching out extractors and springs but no luck so I returned it and have been running OEM bolts in my Ruger pistols since. I probably just had terrible luck but at the price I was sure expecting a lot better. I know a lot of people love them, hopefully what ever issues they were having at the time have been resolved.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I got a quick min to try out the borrowed bolt, 100% function with both high velocity bulk CCI, mini's and standard. Firing pin looked to be giving a stronger hit as well. What I was worried about was the "feel" I tried a TK halo a year ago but hated the feel I know this seems odd but I could tell the difference with and without. The VQ bolt I feel is either faster or same either way its hard to tell on the feel side. Do you all have the same experience with this "feel". 

thanks for the help 

Squirrel