Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Stops

BadShot

Pin breaks, approximately down the middle. I had at least three of them, maybe four, break and I don't remember if in any instance the gun stopped functioning mid-mag. Not saying it can't happen, I just don't remember it happening. I think in most instances I found it by being unable to rack the slide manually due to slide stop trying to walk out. You remove slide stop remnant the same way you remove it normally, and then drive pin remnant right to left. 

Edited by YVK

I was once told to have a match slide stop and a practice one, or a major match one and an "all the other time" one .

I had one snap on me at Area 5 years ago, but  it was on my final shot of a stage. 
Used option 2 above for the 4/5 majors a year after that to minimize the potential damage done to an expensive match/trip.

1 hour ago, cnote said:

I was once told to have a match slide stop and a practice one, or a major match one and an "all the other time" one .

this is my strategy. I got 2 from eemantech, keep 1 as a spare, and use the other only for major matches. when the stock one breaks, it should be at practice or a local match, then i'll just rotate a new one to major match use, and use the old major match stop for locals and practice.

This is not just a cz thing. SIG takedown levers are also notorious for breaking under heavy use, so we have a spare for my wife's gun, and cut a slot in the right side so we can turn it with a screwdriver to remove it when the left side breaks off.

Ideally you want 3, 1 for competitions, 1 for everything else and a spare.

If the slide stop becomes difficult to insert or remove it is likely it has started to bend and perhaps crack.  They always seem to crack in the same spot.

Never had one break, but I carry a spare.  When I clean the gun, I make sure to clean the holes the slide stop goes through and put a big glop of lube on the slide stop.