Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poppleholes

Yoseppy

1 hour ago, Posvar said:

I didn't have any problem with making major with 3N38 and a 124g bullet at 1.175. Bullets didn't grow. What I hate about 3N38 and 9mm major is the mess that happens with the press. 

I have to fight at 1.161".  Bullets don't grow if seated and crimped in the same operation.  The press mess is EXCATLY why I went to SWMP and AA7.  No mess at all with 10.2gr under a 115 for 169 PF.  If you want to go higher, it is very easily compressible.   When you go past 10.6 it starts leaving a little mess.

On 3/31/2022 at 8:41 AM, zzt said:

Of course you can.  However, you may have to change your powder.  I literally cannot fit enough 3N38 in a 9mm case to make major with a 115 JHP.  With a 124 I can (barely) but have to seat and crimp in the same operation.  Otherwise the OAL will 'grow".  Switching to AA7 will cure all that.

That's not a problem. Once the ports are gone and setup as a traditional comp gun, we can switch to Autocomp or similar. The problem is replacing a Schuemann barrel or the whole upper.  I've having a hard time finding a local smith to do the fitting for me.

On 3/31/2022 at 1:59 PM, Posvar said:

I didn't have any problem with making major with 3N38 and a 124g bullet at 1.175. Bullets didn't grow. What I hate about 3N38 and 9mm major is the mess that happens with the press. 

Curios, what was your charge using 3n38 

3 hours ago, tator2k said:

The problem is replacing a Schuemann barrel or the whole upper.  I've having a hard time finding a local smith to do the fitting for me.

I hear you.  All of the smiths around me that I would consider are backed up for months.  Two won't accept any more work until their backlog is down.  One said it would be six months.  If your ports are round, there are remedies.  The ports can be tapped.  Then plugs are screwed in and welded.  You could then use your existing barrel and slide.

9 minutes ago, zzt said:

I hear you.  All of the smiths around me that I would consider are backed up for months.  Two won't accept any more work until their backlog is down.  One said it would be six months.  If your ports are round, there are remedies.  The ports can be tapped.  Then plugs are screwed in and welded.  You could then use your existing barrel and slide.

I wouldn't weld on the barrel, too much heat could wreck the accuracy.  I've used JB Weld for a permanent thread locking solution with great success