Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springer Precision magwell on a Shadow 2

slavex

finally got around to putting the Springer Precision magwell on my Shadow 2 Optics gun. It will swap around between my Optics gun and my Shadow 2 Orange as I play in Production, Standard and Open division in IPSC during the season. 

It is a much nicer setup than the CZUB magwell, and not just because of color. It allows you to keep your full length grips of choice, not needing short ones like the CZUB magwell does. 

You do need to use the appropriate basepads however, your factory +2 won't work without some grinding. I use the original Henning pads for the Tanfo small frame mags, you can see in the pic that the Shadow pads Henning makes have a thicker shoulder above the flange on the mag, so that you can't overseat the mag like the Tanfo pads would allow in a Shadow. 

Took a little bit of fiddling around to get the magwell on correctly and the small spacer screws adjusted right, but once done, it's rock solid and looks a ton better. Might do a slight blend of the pistol where you can just see a small lip of the frame. But, it shouldn't affect things. On my Orange that lip isn't present, different frames, different tolerances I guess. 

signal-2022-02-08-201133_004.jpeg

signal-2022-02-08-201133_002.jpeg

signal-2022-02-08-201133_001.jpeg

Edited by slavex

• 1 year later...
On 3/7/2023 at 4:12 PM, ColoradoNick said:

Anyone know if the Henning mag extensions will work with the springer magwell?

you need to get the ones for the Tanfo mags, as they have a thinner shoulder than the CZ mag extensions. Or, you need to do some fitting of the pads. 

8 hours ago, slavex said:

you need to get the ones for the Tanfo mags, as they have a thinner shoulder than the CZ mag extensions. Or, you need to do some fitting of the pads. 

That's a bummer. I wonder how much fitting is required. I have too much invested in the Henning extensions now to swap. 

On 3/15/2023 at 8:06 AM, ColoradoNick said:

That's a bummer. I wonder how much fitting is required. I have too much invested in the Henning extensions now to swap. 

I have a set of Henning Tanfo pads for when I go slum in Standard or Open with my Shadow 2 or OR Shadow 2 and put the magwell on. The bit of material on the pad that contacts the frame needs to be a bit thinner when using a magwell, but, without a magwell if you used the same pads, you can over insert the mag at slidelock. So I don't think there is a universal fit.