Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mill or not? Meprolight’s Micro RDS.

Max It

So I have installed this Sight on CZ and after a couple of months it didn’t light up. They replaced with another. This one cracked the glass swiftly. I have the second replacement now. 
I have used the included rear sight bridge to mount the RDS. I need to mill to get it lower. 
additionally Meprolight uses an proprietary foot print. 
to mill or not? Given its performance so far. 

The reliability of these RDS is still evolving.  I would not mill any slide (unless  you intend to use an RMR) for the gun.  I think someone will figure out the reliability issue with their optic, then everyone will be switching to that optic most likely.  They all seem to have an issue of some sort or another.  I would also have a hard time milling an optic that only accepted one optic footprint that was not a well known footprint.   You would almost have to have a one of kind optic plate milled to put any other optic on there. 

Also if you ever intend to sell that gun, it will be a pretty hard sell with some sort of proprietary foot print.

2 hours ago, Max It said:
  1. SSS, its good to have your input. $300 thrown out 🤕

Yes, it's unfortunate but are you willing to continue to be a beta tester for Meprolight?  As noted, having your gun milled for a unique footprint that fits an unproven red dot could easily throw good money after bad.  Bite the bullet (pun intended) and have the slide milled for a more universal footprint and replace the Meprolight with something proven.   The RMR footprint takes both the Trijicon RMR and SRO and the Holosun 507/407 red dots and all of those are proven sights.