Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Pumpkins

Clay1

Halloween was over three weeks ago and I have 5 pumpkins that started to go soft. I took them over to the farm and sat them all in a nice row about 2 feet apart. I had some Win, White box, 115 gr, FMJ ammo and some Speer, Gold Dot, 124 Gr, +P stuff. I shot these through my G34. The FMJ put a nice 9mm hole on the way in and a hole about the size of a dime for the exit. The Gold Dots expanded on impact and put a quarter size hole on the entrance and a silver dollar size hole for the exit. What a huge difference. Some times you hear about hollow points not expanding at all or actuallly closing up in some designs. These Gold Dots were spectacular. Pumpkins parts were flying everywhere! What a riot. My kids thought it was a grand time and talk about reaction targets. :huh:

Just had to share. Happy thanksgiving everyone,

Rick

I heard of the old black powder pumpkin shoots. The idea was to roll the pumpkin the fartherest distance with a certain number of shots. Made for interesting shooting since a small high velocity bullet would zip right through with little energy imparted (like the FMJ rounds). The choice setup was a .75 or larger bore gun with a very light powder charge. The shooter would try to place the hits high on the upper curve of the pumpkin so the bullet would travel through more of the "meat" of the pumpkin as well as giving greater leverage for the roll.

At least that's what I've read, anybody got real experience with this?

Happy Thanksgiving!

John

• 2 weeks later...

Ah....I can see it now....The military and the FBI adopt the new pumpkin penetration test instead of using ballistic gellatin, or soaking wet newspapers.

"We found the new M-87 round was capable of penetrating 28 inches of semi-overripe pumpkins...."

Chills

Edited by Chills1994

Chills, great idea! :unsure:

Really, they are nice as a test media and fun to shoot. The best part about it is that where I shoot them I don't pick up anything and next year pumpkins will grow there. The kids have them for the holidays and I get more targets. :D

DS shooter, pumpkins and water. I'll remember that one for next year with the gold dots.