Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help With Determining Missfires

Greetings,

I am a newbie reloader. I have only loaded two batches of 45ACP using Win Primers, 4.0 gr of H310, Zero 230 FMJ with OAL of 1.260. I am shooting a new Taurus PT-145 with less than 500 rounds through it.

The first batch I only loaded about 100 rounds of which had 3 missfires. The second batch, I loaded about 200 rounds of which I had 10 missfires. I am using a mixture of once fired Winchester, Remington and RP brass.

I inspected each round to ensure that they were properly seated. They all appeared to be seated properly. I compared the loaded rounds with a factory round from a Winchester white box.

I don't know enough about what to look for concerning primer pockets. I plan to separate the brass for the next batch and determine if it's a certain case that causing the problem.

Could it be that I have a bad bunch of primers? Is it possible to seat the primers to low?

All suggestions welcomed!

Thanks In Advance

The first batch I only loaded about 100 rounds of which had 3 missfires. The second batch, I loaded about 200 rounds of which I had 10 missfires. ...

Could it be that I have a bad bunch of primers? Is it possible to seat the primers to low?

Has your PT-145 misfired with any factory ammo? You certainly could have a bad batch of primers... Ideally, primers should be slightly below flush with the bottom of the case head. You can indeed seat them too low - but you'll know this by the distinctive and emphatic BANG that erupts from the case :) Usually, that only happens when you really try to force something, though....

The first batch I only loaded about 100 rounds of which had 3 missfires. The second batch, I loaded about 200 rounds of which I had 10 missfires. ...

Has your PT-145 misfired with any factory ammo? You certainly could have a bad batch of primers... Ideally, primers should be slightly below flush with the bottom of the case head. You can indeed seat them too low - but you'll know this by the distinctive and emphatic BANG that erupts from the case :) Usually, that only happens when you really try to force something, though....

Never had a problem with factory ammo. How can you tell if you are applying to much pressure when you seat the primers?

Never had a problem with factory ammo. How can you tell if you are applying to much pressure when you seat the primers?

Try some new primers, then.

You may see the primer cups being deformed if you're not compressing them hard enough to light them off, but are seating them more firmly than is required. However, a "low seated primer" that hasn't detonated in the act of seating it won't misfire. My point was, if you're "seating them too deep", they'll go bang in the press - and it's hard to do (ie, you have to really be trying). Note that crud sometimes collects on top of the primer seating punch - and this can leave small impressions in the primer cup, as well, so don't be confused by those :)

Also, check the firing pin tunnel on the gun, etc, just to make sure you don't have some crap in there... Take a good look at the primer strikes on the misfires, and insure that you've got a nice dimple in the primer cup - post a pic, if you like. If you don't have a nice dimple, you've either got primers seated too high, or the gun is making a light strike. If a proper strike, and no bang, look at the bad primer problem.

Edited by XRe

Try some new primers, then.

You may see the primer cups being deformed if you're not compressing them hard enough to light them off, but are seating them more firmly than is required. However, a "low seated primer" that hasn't detonated in the act of seating it won't misfire. My point was, if you're "seating them too deep", they'll go bang in the press - and it's hard to do (ie, you have to really be trying). Note that crud sometimes collects on top of the primer seating punch - and this can leave small impressions in the primer cup, as well, so don't be confused by those :)

Also, check the firing pin tunnel on the gun, etc, just to make sure you don't have some crap in there... Take a good look at the primer strikes on the misfires, and insure that you've got a nice dimple in the primer cup - post a pic, if you like. If you don't have a nice dimple, you've either got primers seated too high, or the gun is making a light strike. If a proper strike, and no bang, look at the bad primer problem.

Thanks for the info ... Much appreciated.

I had a similar problem with 38SC rounds I loaded. Visual inspection of the primers did not show any high ones. out of the 3000 rounds I loaded (and shipped to AZ) I would get a misfire about every 30 or so. This was with new unprimed Starline brass and Win SR primers. Lets just say it was ammo I was using during training with Matt Burkett and at some matches. I was not a happy camper but I did get alot of practice on failure drills.

Ok ok back on track. The culprit turned out to be primers which were seated ~.002 inches to high (Not bottomed out in the primer pocket) I could not detect this either visually nor by feel. I loaded another 1000 taking pains to ensure I gave a little oomph at the end of primer seating. 100% ignition on those rounds and it was with the same lot of primers.

Soooo... I go for less speed but more accuracy now LOL!

Steven

Edited by standles

I've got a PT-145 myself for carry. Being that it is double action only, it has to cock the striker each time you pull the trigger. They've kept that spring as light as possible to make the trigger tolerable and I've found that it can fail to set off primers that are not fully seated or exceptionally hard ones. I had some failures with reloads until I started using Federal and seating more firmly. No recent failures have happened. When I was having trouble, a second pull of the trigger always set off the primer. I've never had a failure with factory ammo.

For what it's worth, I carry with Speer Gold Dot 230gr. JHP factory ammo. It's the lightest recoiling I've observed in that micro cannon. ;)

It is very easy to short stroke a 550 and not get the primer fully seated. When the firing pin hits it it just pushes it forward with no bang.

I was doing this when I first started going on my 550 a couple years ago. Now I take the time to push the handle completely back, not fast, but a steady and completely back.

I then dump all the rounds into cases that hold a hundred rounds and run a fat tipped sharpie over the case to feel if a primer is to high. This also allows me to mark my brass. Since I have been doing this I have not had another high primer.

You might also check your reloader. I have a friend who recently set up his 550's bullet tray too far out which caused the handle not able to go fully forward to seat the primer all the way.

Just push the handle forward like seating the primer. Make sure the handle does not touch the metal bullet ramp.

If your gun is the problem. Use Federal primer. It's one of the softest primers you can buy.

You might also check your reloader. I have a friend who recently set up his 550's bullet tray too far out which caused the handle not able to go fully forward to seat the primer all the way.

Just push the handle forward like seating the primer. Make sure the handle does not touch the metal bullet ramp.

If your gun is the problem. Use Federal primer. It's one of the softest primers you can buy.

Thanks for all the helpful tips.