Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar10 lightweigt carrier/buffer

ABarrow

I am currently wrapping up a .308 build primarily for 3gun. 16" barrel, mid length gas, carbine buffer,spring and tube. There are limited choices for lightweight carriers that I am aware of, and they are quite pricey compared to the ar15 stuff. Odin makes a relatively cheap adjustable buffer. Does anyone have any experience with this buffer and if so what weights worked for you? In my mind the buffer and carrier are working together so a light buffer with a normal carrier should theoretically work the same as a light carrier with a normal buffer. Or am I just a dummy and need to spend the money for a lightweight carrier for best performance. 

It doesn't really work like that. The buffer resists the rearward movement of the carrier and assists in the forward movement of the carrier for feeding. Jist getting a low mass buffer and having a standard weight carrier will not give you the effect you are looking for. It in fact could create the opposite effect and introduce reliability issues. 

Unfortunately you just need to spend the money if you are really after performance. Look at JP's Silent Capture System, LMOS/VMOS carriers and pick what you think will work best for your application. Save up and buy the good stuff once. 

On 12/30/2021 at 3:56 PM, ABarrow said:

I am currently wrapping up a .308 build primarily for 3gun. 16" barrel, mid length gas, carbine buffer,spring and tube. There are limited choices for lightweight carriers that I am aware of, and they are quite pricey compared to the ar15 stuff. Odin makes a relatively cheap adjustable buffer. Does anyone have any experience with this buffer and if so what weights worked for you? In my mind the buffer and carrier are working together so a light buffer with a normal carrier should theoretically work the same as a light carrier with a normal buffer. Or am I just a dummy and need to spend the money for a lightweight carrier for best performance. 

You did not mention the following items #1) Brake, #2) An adjustable gas block (or means to adjust the gas flow into the BCG).  If those don't exist in your build, get them and tune your moving mass (BCG) after.  308 fbffer & spring tuning would be the last things to think about (and they yield minimal improvements to recoild management).

Regarding adjustable buffer - No, I don't have long term experience.  Only played with the JP captured spring/buffer system and hated it the added weight.

15 minutes ago, PacMan said:

You did not mention the following items #1) Brake, #2) An adjustable gas block (or means to adjust the gas flow into the BCG).  If those don't exist in your build, get them and tune your moving mass (BCG) after.  308 fbffer & spring tuning would be the last things to think about (and they yield minimal improvements to recoild management).

Regarding adjustable buffer - No, I don't have long term experience.  Only played with the JP captured spring/buffer system and hated it the added weight.

Appreciate the feedback. I’m running the vg6 brake and adjustable gas. It’s pretty soft shooting as is, but you know us 3gunners, I can’t stop tinkering haha

On 12/31/2021 at 10:48 AM, ecn515 said:

It doesn't really work like that. The buffer resists the rearward movement of the carrier and assists in the forward movement of the carrier for feeding. Jist getting a low mass buffer and having a standard weight carrier will not give you the effect you are looking for. It in fact could create the opposite effect and introduce reliability issues. 

Unfortunately you just need to spend the money if you are really after performance. Look at JP's Silent Capture System, LMOS/VMOS carriers and pick what you think will work best for your application. Save up and buy the good stuff once. 

Appreciate the feedback!

39 minutes ago, ABarrow said:

Appreciate the feedback. I’m running the vg6 brake and adjustable gas. It’s pretty soft shooting as is, but you know us 3gunners, I can’t stop tinkering haha

Yep, we certainly are 'tinderers' and most of the times, good enough doesn't mean we stop testing new gizzmos.

I'm currently running a JP LMOS w/ HP bolt in my 18" rifle length gas with adj gas block and Lancer Nitrous 3-port brake.  I used to run the VG6 Gamma in my older 16"  midlength with adj gas but its performance was no where near the Nitrous's so it now has the same brake as the 18".

• 1 month later...

2A armament has an absurdly light titanium large frame carrier, makes my JP seem chunky. This is only appropriate if you know what your doing because you need to tune gas carefully and you cant load too hot or you will be popping primers, its so light and moves so fast you just need to make sure its not opening too early but when its right the recoil is pretty comical since it probably weighs much less than a standard ar15 carrier.

• 2 weeks later...

I went with a RCA Titanium BCG. I tuned in my gas block and then made fine tweaks with the adjustable gas key on the BCG. Coupled with a JP Silent Captured System it shoots crazy flat and light. Probably moreso than my AR15. I would shoot it more if ammo was cheaper.