Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA alpha x versus CR speed wsm2

Guitarmageddon

Hey folks. Looking for a better holster to replace my basic kydex. I use a S&w r8 for my steel setup (n frame).

I can't really decide between the DAA alpha x and the cr speed wsm2. Anyone have experience with these in a revolver context?

It would appear that even if I go with the DAA for the revolver, I would still have future functionality to change the insert and use for a limited gun (when I expand into that class  eventually)

I would also probably have to get the DAA muzzle support kit for revolvers I assume.

I have both:

DAA love the attachment point, had to use a dremel to "adjust" the lock to fit my 627PC and that hanging in the air was hard on my OCD.  So I went with the extension and am much happier with it.  The Lock seems lighter but it holds as well compared to the WSM II.  I'm used it all of 2021 without the extension with no problems and started in November with it for all my Revolver Matches.

WSM II I like the lock, fit, adaptablility but the attachement system to the Belt is a pain.  It does not fit the DAA Belts well, though it can be done.  And I finally gave up and Drilled and Tapped into the attachment body a holding screw to keep the single large bolt holding the body to the attachment from loosening.  I use it for my 2011 in Limited now.

2 hours ago, Guitarmageddon said:

I would also probably have to get the DAA muzzle support kit for revolvers I assume.

For the way I have my gun and holster set up, I feel like it's a necessity. The DAA holster locks around the trigger guard, so guns with round trigger guards can wobble forward and back depending on how they fit the holster.

That may be an artifact of using the N-frame insert for a Super GP100, though—it fits, but I know a guy who runs a 929 and doesn't think the muzzle support is needed.

I've never tried the CR Speed holster, but I like my Alpha X enough that I don't feel the need to.

5 hours ago, Guitarmageddon said:

Is the DAA a pain the loosen the belt attachment and remove the mount? I don't own two belts yet, but probably should. And I switch to my production rig/CZ holster a couple times per month.

It just bolts on. Really easy to get off.

I use an alpha x with no muzzle support. I like to be able to use a ton of different revos without touching the holster. 

21 hours ago, MWP said:

It just bolts on. Really easy to get off.

I use an alpha x with no muzzle support. I like to be able to use a ton of different revos without touching the holster. 

The beauty of the muzzle support is in USPSA where you can't shoot more than one gun and have lots of movement, it's more stable when adjusted.  Yet in SC where I can use multiple guns and theres not a lot of activity I adjust it for the llongest and anything less works just fine.  ICORE is a cross between the two.  

I'm currently using a 4" Pro w/Dot & a 5" PC with IS.

The belt attachment for the WSM II  isn't really large enough for the DAA Belts I have, it does work just takes a bit of adjustment and those top 2 screws tend to strip out with the allen head wrench.

Neither DAA or the WSM are a slide on/off, but the DAA has better screws and the DAA uses metal strips that lets the velcro attach the two belts.

The other issue that led me to the extension for the Racer was lining up the guard in the lock, occasionally I would re-holster and the lock wouldn't be set.  In practice I even had it fall out when I removed my hand.  It has lead me to the habit of holstering and setting the lever lock and then releasing it.  If I couldn't set the Lever I knew it wasn't locked up.  The Extension gets the angle right and I've not had the same issue.

So bottom line if you have DAA Belts go with the Racer and if you have a CED Belt get the WSM II.