Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super GP100 production numbers

Fishbreath

As I twiddle my thumbs and watch Gunbroker and my preferred local/online dealers for a backup gun, I decided to nose around the Ruger serial number lookup page in search of how many there actually are. Supposing that the serial number prefixes CS3 (for .357) and CS6 (for 9mm) are the only ones used for those models, Ruger has produced a grand total of 1159 Super GPs, 959 in .357 and the remaining 200 in 9mm.

No wonder they're hard to come by!

Somebody wants a 9mm they can pm me, have one person casually thinking about mine that would get first dibs but likely have one for sale. I think it is legal to mention this since here since I have the necessary posts and etc for classifieds. 

My thoughts. I've got a 10mm ruger match champion that I'm feeding 40's at about 160 pf for IDPA, love that gun and soft shooting loads although I wish the trigger was more like a well tuned smith. With the McCarbo trigger kit and polishing I'm ok with the trigger, it is just that the S&W is better. To keep s.o.'s awake you can always stick in a 10 mm round now and then. 

When they went to 8 shot 9mm/357 I think they might have pushed the limits of the ruger design. Sent the gun back to the factory due to a cylinder latch timing issue (can't gripe about their warranty service, that is one place where they are light years ahead based on how I've been treated by S&W). With the latch timing fixed the next issue was that when using moon clips the pawl would hang on brass and the trigger would stick back. Issue #2 seems fixed after a smidge of filing. 

14 hours ago, MWP said:

Which are you looking for? I have yet to see one on a shelf in the wild. 

Another .357. I do toy with the idea of going 9mm, since I've seen more of those up for sale than the .357s and the caliber does have advantages, but have a hard time justifying it on the basis of having to buy brass, moons, and dies all over again.

When I was getting into revolver competition in early 2020, a few of the local shops had .357 Super GPs, so I got to pick one up before I bought it. Next to the 929 the same shop had, I preferred the way the Super GP pointed.

6 hours ago, revoman said:

I do have a Super GP 100 in .357 which I would trade for a 27-7 or M1A Tanker. 

If ever you're looking to move it for cash, drop me a line!

30 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

Another .357. I do toy with the idea of going 9mm, since I've seen more of those up for sale than the .357s and the caliber does have advantages, but have a hard time justifying it on the basis of having to buy brass, moons, and dies all over again.

When I was getting into revolver competition in early 2020, a few of the local shops had .357 Super GPs, so I got to pick one up before I bought it. Next to the 929 the same shop had, I preferred the way the Super GP pointed.

If ever you're looking to move it for cash, drop me a line!

I will keep you in mind