Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1100 Price Check

AustinMike

Is $300 a decent price for a used Remington 1100, 26" barrel, wood stocks? It says it's a imp cyl choke on the vent ribbed barrel, some blueing wear and minor stock dings (neither of which bothers me.) Looks to be in pretty good shape. I've them looking a lot worse for more money around here and rarely see them less than $400 at the gun shows. Comes with a 30 day money-back waranty. Good starter gun for some 3-gun shootin'?

It's the going rate for one($300).The older ones got better parts and the barrel lug/ring don't snap off so easy on them either.IC will shoot almost every course of fire I ever saw and a little #4 buck will get the rest.Have a good time for 3gun is the holy grail!

I just bought one today for $240 at a gun show in Pittsburgh.

Wow...you don't see that around here. Saw one for $295 that looked like it had been dragged behind a truck. Under $400 for a decent semi-auto that doesn't look beat to hell is rare at our gun/beany baby/junk jewelry/jerky shows. The best I'd previously seen was $395, about the same condition as the one I found for $300 at Cabela's. I think I feel better shopping there, since they have a 100% satisfaction policy. The only thing cheaper would be to go to a pump.

I'm not sure how old this one is. Any way to tell, based on serial number? It's well used, but doesn't look abused.

Stupid question 1...can slugs be fired through this IC choked barrel?

Stupid question 2...this is a 2 3/4" chamber only, is there ever a need for 3"?

Edited by AustinMike

I just bought one today for $240 at a gun show in Pittsburgh.

Wow...you don't see that around here. Saw one for $295 that looked like it had been dragged behind a truck. Under $400 for a decent semi-auto that doesn't look beat to hell is rare at our gun/beany baby/junk jewelry/jerky shows. The best I'd previously seen was $395, about the same condition as the one I found for $300 at Cabela's. I think I feel better shopping there, since they have a 100% satisfaction policy. The only thing cheaper would be to go to a pump.

I'm not sure how old this one is. Any way to tell, based on serial number? It's well used, but doesn't look abused.

Stupid question 1...can slugs be fired through this IC choked barrel?

Stupid question 2...this is a 2 3/4" chamber only, is there ever a need for 3"?

You guys should visit California. $300 for a decent pump action is worthy of a second look.

AustinMike,

Yep, $300 is what I paid for the 1100 I have just like yours. I see them at that price regularly out this way (Richmond, VA).

I much prefer the 26" barrel and with the addition of a Choate mag tube (makes it 9+1) and a CM carrier assembly (loading latch as refered to in a previous reply) it's been a very reliable shotgun for 3 gun matches. You might also want to add some Tru-Glo fiber sights to the vent rib for long slug shots.

Enjoy.

I much prefer the 26" barrel and with the addition of a Choate mag tube (makes it 9+1) and a CM carrier assembly (loading latch as refered to in a previous reply) it's been a very reliable shotgun for 3 gun matches. You might also want to add some Tru-Glo fiber sights to the vent rib for long slug shots.

That 9+1 tube is legal for Limited/Standard (whichever it's called for shotgun), right? Any issue with slugs out of this barrel? I'm rather ignorant when it comes to shotguns, but I believe that Imp Cyl is supposed to be fine with slugs.

Where is a good place to find that carrier assembly?

I noticed HiViz has a front optic sight that attaches magnetically. Are those any good? They have a set that includes a rear sight that looks interesting, although it sounds like most people don't use rear sights.

Paid $220 for one in primo shape, BUT, that was from a friend who cut me a deal. I'm in process adding the CM parts, the loading latch from the CM is an absolute must.

JM951,

is the CM latch the whole shell lifter or just the latch? Also is this in addition to a DMW Ez-Loader?

Thanks.

Anything up to and even just beyond Modified is fine with slugs IME. I wouldn't go to a full choke with slugs though ;-)

Best setup IMHO is to get the bbl threaded for Remchoke compatability and then get a series of them, or Briley threadin's to select from as the course may dictate. Have your cake and eat it too :-)

I'm not familiar with the HiViz sight, but you might want to check out the new Lyman "Luma" sight (go here http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm and run a search for "luma" and it should come up). I haven't seen any of these myself, but if they had one that would clip onto a plain barrel for my 1300, for the $60ish price tag I'd give it a try.

Edited by jkrispies

The CM loading latch/carrier assembly is available directly from Remington. IIRC it's about $29 and is the entire assembly for the CM. To install, just remove the two circlips on the axle pin. Slide the pin out, remove old assembly, installation is the reverse. Just take care not to lose any other small pins and springs. I think there is one on there that can get loose if you're not careful. I did mine in about 5 min.

I'd also order the "tactical" operating handle from Remington too. I think it's about $15.

Here's a run down on all of the goodies to do the entire project if you choose to go that far-

http://www.aagunsales.com/Reviews/Remingto...%20and%20Mockup

• 3 weeks later...

I gave $350 for an excellent Sportsman 12 Auto with a 30" full vent rib.

The most I was offered at a show was $150 when 1100's that didn't look safe to fire were going for $400.

I decided to have the barrel chopped and put a mag extension and sling on it. It's a snazzy looking riot gun now and works for slugs and buck.

That 9+1 tube is legal for Limited/Standard (whichever it's called for shotgun), right?

It is 8+1 in USPSA Lim/Tactical.

9+1 is possibly legal after the start with the IMGA ruleset. It depends on the tube's and barrel's length and match.

Edited to Add: I should have written that the 9+1 tube is legal for USPSA Lim/Tactical. But it's verboten if you go past the 8+1. :P

Edited by Religious Shooter