Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 sizing die off center

My Super 1050 is sizing about 40% of 38 Super cases off center. It has recently started doing this. Some cases size concentric, some cases have a scrape down one side where the resizing die has gone down the brass off center and these cases will not case gauge. Always the same position for the scrape, the quadrant nearest the case insertion station and toward the center shaft.  Never the quadrant nearest the primer station. It seems that the shellplate is somehow being pushed back out of advancement by a small amount for some cases.

The shellplate clicks into place in a positive manner with the ball. The resizing die has been tightened touching the shellplate with a good case in the station. The same problem is evident using a #5 or M plate with #3 buttons, so tightness of the shellplate slot does not seem to matter. Some cases size perfectly, some feel hard to pull the handle and they size off center. The cases have all been fired in the same chamber. Old and new have the same problem. It happens with all the dies in the tool head, or just the sizing die. Does the same with Dillon and Hornady dies.

I have tried coating the front guide rod with marker and seeing where it touched, then tapping the front guide rod to centre it in the hole using voodoo and guesswork and there does not seem to be a lot of difference apart from more/less resistance in the guide.

Is it likely to be something like the pawl adjustment screw needs to be in a certain position, or something else that is not obvious? I cannot see anything obvious and it does not happen on every case, so and I am hoping that someone else has had this problem and found a solution. I am suspicious that the guide rod is the culprit, but I would think that would be consistent, not random. All suggestions welcome.

Scrapes.jpg

Edited by DownUnder

I may not be of help to you but. I had this same issue with 9mm . This brass had been loaded quite a few times. 

It was the brass. Through out that batch. problem went away. Also had this with some 10mm brass. Same fix.

1 hour ago, DownUnder said:

It seems that the shellplate is somehow being pushed back out of advancement by a small amount for some cases.

I would think if the shell plate was moving you would see any movement however small.

If you do not think its the brass like stated above there are a couple of things you can try.

How long has it been since you have cleaned your dies?  Debris in the die body can cause all kinds of strange problems.  

Another thing to try, is find a shell you believe to be true (not off center).  Use a different shell ( the only shell loaded in the shell plate) to advance while you keep reinserting the true shell in the sizing die station.  This might tell you if another die is moving the shell plate via the shell in that station.  

If you think all of your other dies are good to go, then you can try rotating your sizing die 180 degrees and see if the off center side of the brass becomes not eccentric or damaged 180 degrees from where it was before.  This will at least give you indication if there is an issue with the press or the sizing die.

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

How long has it been since you have cleaned your dies?  Debris in the die body can cause all kinds of strange problems.  

This

With the two guide rods on the tool head the shell plate will self align if at all close or else the press will jam on the down movement. 

The only other thing could be debris in the shell plate causing brass with slightly damaged groove to not be a little “loose” in its groove as it aligns with the die.

Truthfully for the die to come down there shouldn’t be any “alignment” problems between the head and the plate, so the problem is somewhere else.

Yes the pawl need to be adjusted, but a problem here shows up because the tool head will not come down properly.

Edited by HesedTech

Fixed.

The index pawl adjustment screw needs to be just right, like Goldilocks.

If the adjustment is out a little bit the index pawl can put a small amount of pressure on the shellplate or very slightly mis-locate the ball, enough to introduce a small amount of offset during the passage of a case up into the resizing die.

I took all of the dies out except the resizing die and I watched the ball and felt with my finger on the shellplate how the ball positioned as I adjusted the index pawl. Once the sweet spot was found everything was back to normal. It must have moved a bit over time and exceeded the go/no go sweet spot.