Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are these 610s’s cylinders cut for moon clips?

Chills1994

21 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

Yes it may have been the 10mm's and if I remember right it was back at the inception of the rounds and not a change later like with the

small primed 45ACP. I did hear about folks cutting down 10mm to 40 S&W length, for whatever reason escapes me since 10mm brass has

always been more costly, but with these primer shortages I'm glad I have a few thousand 10mm cases around and some large primers,

though it is going to be a shock shooting such a hard kicking cartridge 🤣🤣🤣

The reason is 10mm came out years before .40, so factory .40 cases were thin on the ground for quite a while (think .38 Supercomp shooters hunting for brass today; that's what it was like for .40 in the early 1990s), while once-fired 10mm was available. 

The thought was 10mm cases were stronger and also less likely to bulge and blow out with some of the crazy .40 loads of the day (see: Clays & .40).

AFAIK 10mm has been large primer since the outset, except for a few 'non-toxic' loads where Federal only made SPPs.  The .30 Remington it was based off was a LR case.  The original Norma ammo was LP.

Did a search for "small primer 10mm" and found this on Glocktalk

Just received 7 boxes of CCI Blazer 10mm and to my surprise they have small primers. Did an internet search on 10mm small primers and apparently 10mm is going the way of the 45. Now I will have to separate my 10mm cases now.

And a pic off the web, sad part is it looks like 10mm is going the way of 45 ACP for primers, guess I better keepan eye out when Ipick up range brass next time 
(ya right, like that happens much 🤣)
See the source image

This pic below shows the comparison, damn that Blazer brass looks ugly !!
https://www.okshooters.com/attachments/img_5657-jpg.187658/

Looked up large pistol 40 S&W and no pics.
Edited by 10mmdave