Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are these 610s’s cylinders cut for moon clips?

Chills1994

I know like almost nothing about revolvers, and even less about guns that would normally take moon clips.

A LGS has two 610’s for sale.  A 4 inch version and a 6.5 inch version.  I took pics of both cylinders :

EF189714-CF1B-4A71-ADF9-28B609DF3CFE.jpeg

12103912-92D5-4C92-87A7-F15A3E8DAE6A.jpeg

From Wikipedia - 

Common revolver models that are manufactured to use moon clips:

Rare Ruger Speed Six variant in 9mm Parabellum, which uses half-moon clips to chamber the rimless cartridges

Smith and Wesson Model 625 .45 ACP moon clips.
9mm Luger
Charter Arms Pitbull
S&W Model 940
S&W Model 929
S&W Model 986
Ruger LCR
Ruger SP101
Ruger Speed-Six
Taurus Model 905
Alfa Proj. 9200 series
10mm Auto/.40 S&W

S&W Model 610

.40 S&W
S&W Model 646
.45 ACP
M1917 revolver
Ruger Redhawk[4],[5],[6],[7]
S&W Model 22
S&W Models 25 (for blue) and 625 (for stainless)
S&W Governor

Edited by DownUnder

1 hour ago, RevolverJockey said:

610 moonclips sit on the face of the cylinder. They can’t really be recessed because they need the clips to headspace, hold the brass and eject as both 10mm and 40 SW are rimless cartridges. 

Ahhhh… got it!

Thank you!

I think I was confused by say 627 cylinders which have a recess in them (well, I guess some of them…anyway…)

F7EF179B-AD86-48E7-AC68-E3280E28DB74.jpeg.2ed756cac407d3e0611bffe868101b9e.jpeg

1 hour ago, DownUnder said:

From Wikipedia - 

Common revolver models that are manufactured to use moon clips:

Rare Ruger Speed Six variant in 9mm Parabellum, which uses half-moon clips to chamber the rimless cartridges

Smith and Wesson Model 625 .45 ACP moon clips.
9mm Luger
Charter Arms Pitbull
S&W Model 940
S&W Model 929
S&W Model 986
Ruger LCR
Ruger SP101
Ruger Speed-Six
Taurus Model 905
Alfa Proj. 9200 series
10mm Auto/.40 S&W

S&W Model 610

.40 S&W
S&W Model 646
.45 ACP
M1917 revolver
Ruger Redhawk[4],[5],[6],[7]
S&W Model 22
S&W Models 25 (for blue) and 625 (for stainless)
S&W Governor

Thank you!

Sooooo…. This kinda begs the next question.

Competition wise, does the 610 really fit in anywhere?

It’s kind of an orphan.

Not steel challenge because it is strictly a 6 shooter.  Miss twice and you’re stuck doing a standing reload right in the middle of a string.

Not USPSA because I think stage designs lend themselves better to 8 rounds.

A 6.5” barreled version would be verboten in IDPA.  And it has been so long since I even peeked at an IDPA rulebook.  Way back when there was just one revolver division.  Then they split it up into two divisions.  And made them all 4 inch barrels or less.  

And I don’t have a clue about ICORE.

8 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

A 6.5” barreled version would be verboten in IDPA.  And it has been so long since I even peeked at an IDPA rulebook.  Way back when there was just one revolver division.  Then they split it up into two divisions.  And made them all 4 inch barrels or less.  

Have been shooting Ruger's version of your gun (10mm match champion) loaded to just above 155 power factor 40 with moon clips in IDPA a little bit this year. You would have to get the 4" gun to be legal. It is neat to be able to run 10's if you can't find small primers and otherwise just fun to shoot. If you sneak in a hot 10mm once in a while it keeps local match s.o.'s on their toes. 

Yes the 627's have a recess due to the ability to still shoot without moon clips.  They need the space for the moon clip below the rim.  Same with my M29 I had cut for moon clips.

Now they look like they could benefit from a little chamfering work.

Right now I'd love to have a 610, have plenty of F150's I could use in 10mm.  Of course that depends on "if" one could find 10mm brass.

Edited by pskys2

5 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Of course that depends on "if" one could find 10mm brass.

Given how high it is priced my solution was to buy enough factory ammo to make it through a match, use that brass forever on an as needed basis but otherwise shoot 40. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

11 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

Thank you!

Sooooo…. This kinda begs the next question.

Competition wise, does the 610 really fit in anywhere?

It’s kind of an orphan.

Not steel challenge because it is strictly a 6 shooter.  Miss twice and you’re stuck doing a standing reload right in the middle of a string.

Not USPSA because I think stage designs lend themselves better to 8 rounds.

And I don’t have a clue about ICORE.

The 4” is perfectly competitive in idpa.

Limited 6 in icore is specifically for 6 shot moonclip guns. 

5 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Given how high it is priced my solution was to buy enough factory ammo to make it through a match, use that brass forever on an as needed basis but otherwise shoot 40. 

Yeah, I have at least one 5 gallon bucket filled with .40 brass .  Maybe 2.

The problem is not enough small primers.

I have a 1911 in 10mm.

And at least for now, I have plenty of large pistol primers.

11 hours ago, MWP said:

The 4” is perfectly competitive in idpa.

Limited 6 in icore is specifically for 6 shot moonclip guns. 

Along with what MWP just said it can also be used in USPSA Revo MAJOR, I know not 8 shot friendly but major PF helps.

18 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

Yeah, I have at least one 5 gallon bucket filled with .40 brass .  Maybe 2.

The problem is not enough small primers.

I have a 1911 in 10mm.

And at least for now, I have plenty of large pistol primers.

Me too except a 2011.  Actually considering trimming some 10mm brass for the 2011, if things stay tight!

Now if I had a 610???

On 10/14/2021 at 8:59 AM, pskys2 said:

Me too except a 2011.  Actually considering trimming some 10mm brass for the 2011, if things stay tight!

Now if I had a 610???

I just looked at the pilots for my RCBS trim pro.

The biggest pilot is for .45 cal.

Then .44 .

Then it jumps down to .35 cal .

Maybe RCBS sells a .40 cal pilot???

Alternatively, if you could ream out regular .40S&W brass primer pockets to take a large pistol primer.

Or if enough people got together and approached Starline brass about making a large batch of large primer’ed .40S&W brass .

15 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

Then .44 .

Alternatively, if you could ream out regular .40S&W brass primer pockets to take a large pistol primer.

Or if enough people got together and approached Starline brass about making a large batch of large primer’ed .40S&W brass .

Don't know how much it would matter, but when I was thinking of cutting brass another poster pointed out that 10mm is tapered. 

1553964579_ScreenShot2021-10-16at7_48_23AM.png.14395bbdd15c22a7300876fadcd40873.png

40 for reference

380508704_ScreenShot2021-10-16at7_46_28AM.png.702653b4da7861c78c1f967c14da9e62.png

20 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

Then .44 .

I thought of drilling the primer pocket, might even try it as I have a lot of 40 s&w brass.  Back when the 40 was new quite a few did trim them and yes they do make pilots for 40 caliber, they're just not included in the kits.  Now whether they have any in stock?

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

I forget which way it was in the past, 10mm had small primers or 40's had large primers ??

thought there were some pic's on here of the brass ?

It's the other way around Dave, the 10mm are large and the 40's are small.

4 hours ago, mchapman said:

It's the other way around Dave, the 10mm are large and the 40's are small.

Yes, that's the standard way they come now, but in the beginning of both there was some brass out there that had small primers

where there are now large and large where there is now small, I just can't remember which but I'm leaning towards large primer

40 S&W,but I could be wrong.

Edited by 10mmdave

11 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

Yes, that's the standard way they come now, but in the beginning of both there was some brass out there that had small primers

where there are now large and large where there is now small, I just can't remember which but I'm leaning towards large primer

40 S&W,but I could be wrong.

I did not know that, I've had my 610s for some time and 10-12 years ago I was not reloading for them so I really couldn't say. The only one that I was aware of was the 45acp and small primers when they were always large before. something about making "green" primers I think, but you are probably right about the 40s.

I've never seen large-primer .40 unless it was cut-down 10mm (or 10mm magnum)-- that was a thing briefly in the 175pf days.  Perhaps there is some out there, but I'd think it's more likely somebody made SPP 10mm, although I never saw that either when I was running a 9x25 open gun way back when.

16 minutes ago, shred said:

I've never seen large-primer .40 unless it was cut-down 10mm (or 10mm magnum)-- that was a thing briefly in the 175pf days.  Perhaps there is some out there, but I'd think it's more likely somebody made SPP 10mm, although I never saw that either when I was running a 9x25 open gun way back when.

Yes it may have been the 10mm's and if I remember right it was back at the inception of the rounds and not a change later like with the

small primed 45ACP. I did hear about folks cutting down 10mm to 40 S&W length, for whatever reason escapes me since 10mm brass has

always been more costly, but with these primer shortages I'm glad I have a few thousand 10mm cases around and some large primers,

though it is going to be a shock shooting such a hard kicking cartridge 🤣🤣🤣