Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to loosen the scope mount torx screw on an STI

9mikemike

Hi, I’m trying to install a thumbrest on my pistol but I can’t seem to unscrew the torx screws on the scope mount. I used  a soldering iron to heat and  loosen the loctite but the two T10 size torx bits that I was using broke. I guess I needed to heat it up some more. I’ve  observed that the T10 bit size is not a snug fit and has a lot of play and I was concerned that It will deform the screw head. The T15 size doesn’t fit as well and was too big. I’ve search the internet and I can’t find bit sizes between T10 and T15. I need your suggestions on the best way and tools to use to remove the torx screw from the the scope mount. 

Thanks in advance. 

Sometimes they can be difficult.   I also use the Torx--much better than Allen.

Couple of things to try.    Pull the slide off and get some heat on the threaded end.

You should be able to see it inside the dust cover channel.  Take a good look at it

and make sure the end of the screw isn't beat up.   Buy some GOOD impact rated 

Torx bits.  Amazon has them.  They fit so much better. Get the frame on a solid surface, push 

down on the driver and try to loosen.  While doing all that tap on the top of the driver

handle with a small hammer.    

I’ve re-checked the screws and it’s definitely a Torx type. Looks like the scope mount had been previously replaced. Thank you for all the replies. I ordered a new set of torx screws with screw wrench last Friday from Shootesconnection. If it doesn’t work, I’ll try the impact wrench. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally gotten the chance to try and take the screws off last night. It’s been busy the past couple of weeks. First thing I realized, the screws are actually torx plus and not the regular torx screw. It came off easily after applying torch heat. I tried soldering iron at first but it didn’t work. 

Thank you for all your responses.