Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need All The Help/idea I Can Get

Rikarin

As many of you know, Lady's Camp has revived my shooting life. Now, I want to get involved in promoting shooting for women. I really want to.

I have been emailing with Princess (Debbie Fern) who does organizing/media relation for them. Basically, Kay, Lisa, Julie works for less than minimum wage, almost volunteer for the camp and match. Princess does all the work as volunteer. for now, S&W has been kindly the only sponsor.

There's 2 thing going on. women shooter's Camp and women only match - Lady Smith Match. I am hoping to make Lady Smith Match bigger and promote the camp for beginners. Currnetly the match is only attended by women who attend the camp. What's wrong with the idea of making this into World Women Shoot or whatever :D :D I bet you boys love to come see/help, non? ;)

So, here's the first question so that I can approach Kay.

How to approach other sponsors to sponsor the match. I have done this in Japanese high-tech industry (getting sponsorship from Mitsubish and Hitach and such) but not in shooting industry. I can beg and eyerash bat to find the connection through people I know to the key person of the companies. But, how I should approach? "business plan" good enough? Connection is more important? What's the steps to take?

Any idea, opinion whatever?

thanks!!!

Sounds like a great idea; Women with guns is getting a lot of press lately and the gun industry would be wise to get in on this. May I suggest that you write up a proposal (with photos etc. so it looks enticing) and just mail it to all the gun companies in USA, plus the usual vendors that support USPSA.

Each gun company has their own web-site with contact information so getting the addresses would be simple enough.

May I suggest that you write up a proposal (with photos etc. so it looks enticing) and just mail it to all the gun companies in USA

That sounds like a very good start. The more professional the proposal looks, the more likely it will get treated with respect in the gun company PR departments. Looks are everything to perception in the boardroom ;-)

I would also contact Jim Scouten from Shooting USA and see if he will do a piece on the camp and match. Getting it on TV and doing a media drive to get a large viewing audience for when it airs would probably go a long way towards your goals. To that end, having a TV segment comittment before approaching the corporations might be a large advantage.

But then again, what do I know, I only do media related work for major corporations ;-)

--

Regards,

another suggestion would be to contact Michael Bane. TV coverage seems like a good way of attracting sponsors and he probably even has some sponsor connections/contacts for you.

Ok, pardon my ignorance... who's this Mr. Michael Bane? This is exactly kind of thing what I want to hear!!

Goerge, BritanUSA (you got new avator eh?) thank you. Writing proposal is my professional skill. NP. Debbie (Princess) is already doing a lot of media coverage. Arizona Republic and radio show was at Area 2. Ladies camp will go onto NRA's women's magazine.

But, TV would be so so great. Nothing can be compared to TV coverage.

Kay and we will pack some sponsor package. I am full with ideas.. like, Remmington can promote its Youth model rifle/shotgun for women too! How about CZ? Isn't that small grip women friendly? there's a lot of niche market we can cultivate.

Also, I got very unusual sponsorship package for the World Women Shoot - "A Half day with GMs" Women can win spending half day with, such as, Brian!! :D:lol: What do you think all the GMs out there? Wiiiill you donate your time for uuuus???? (insert eyelash batting here) ;)

I got tired of my old avatars so I did an upgrade...

I thought of something else you may want to consider. Getting sponsorship/supplies from the ammunition companies, such as Winchester etc. that way contestants won't have to worry about travelling with ammo.

I just got my shot show sign up pack yesterday in the mail. I'm sending you a PM on that BTW. What I did last year was create a three fold brochure with pics listing prior accomplishments and goals for the upcoming year. I then went to each of the vendor booths I was interested in and approached them.

I had the pleasure of spending a couple hours on Tuesday with a GM in finance/budgets/grants for a "little" project I have going on at work.

He said something to me that, while simple, entirely revolutionized my way of looking at my project.

"Budgets aren't about numbers, they are about marketting. If the marketting is there and of high quality the money will follow."

I had been beating on doors trying to fund my project and having zero luck. I had no marketting plan.

I added a solid marketting plan on Thursday and by close of the day Friday had rounded up a significant fraction of the seed money the project needed.

Werd. That's it. We already have 2 marketing person lined up. Thanks for the tips!

I had the pleasure of spending a couple hours on Tuesday with a GM in finance/budgets/grants for a "little" project I have going on at work.

He said something to me that, while simple, entirely revolutionized my way of looking at my project.

"Budgets aren't about numbers, they are about marketting. If the marketting is there and of high quality the money will follow."

I had been beating on doors trying to fund my project and having zero luck. I had no marketting plan.

I added a solid marketting plan on Thursday and by close of the day Friday had rounded up a significant fraction of the seed money the project needed.