Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz 75 Sp01 Tactical

JakeMartens

I spent the last year shooting IPSC matches in Limited 10 and really wanted to do something different for next year. I kicked around the idea of stepping up to Limited, but really just didn’t want to invest all that money into a new hi cap gun, mags, holster, mag pouches and then setting up to reload for it.

I know that I could shoot in the Single Stack division, but it really didn’t interest me that much, besides I have 15 seven round mags and really don’t want to buy eight rounders. So I started looking at Production and considering what type of gun I would want to shoot.

A couple of years ago I classified in IDPA Stock Service using a Beretta Elite II, but I had traded that off long ago (truth is I screwed it up by having some Ashley Express Big Dot sights put on it). Of course the obvious choice would be a Glock 17 or 34, but I don’t like Glocks. No I am not one of those people that damn all things plastic. I just don’t like the way they feel or point for me. I have tried them, hell I have had a lot of them a 34, 17 (twice), 21 (twice), 27, and a 19 and I like the idea of the consistent trigger pull, but they just don’t feel right to me.

So I started looking, checked out the Springfield XD Tactical, Para LDA, S&W 5906, Sig 226, and CZ 75/85 combat. After messing around with these and spending sometime emailing back and forth with Matt Mink I settled on the CZ75 SP01 Tactical. WHY? Well for a couple of reasons. I got down to the CZ, SIG and S&W. It basically came down to how the gun felt in my hand. I had a chance to handle the CZ 75 P01 and it just felt right in my hand. The SP01/P01 has a more upswept beavertail than the standard CZ’s. The slide to me sits just high enough compared to the Sig and S&W. The controls are in the right spot unlike the Sig and S&W.

Reliability. I had bought a CZ 75 a while back. I burned through several cases of cheap American Ammo and Wolff and never remember having any problems. If I remember right I think I traded it off on a Glock!! But I never had any problems.

Cost. Let’s face it CZ’s are a great value. Sure there are some machine marks on the inside of the slide and yes it will need a trigger job, but these are very well built and sturdy guns.

The other reason is that CZ supports our sport. I went to the Area 3 this year and it should have been called the CZ-USA Area 3 Championship. They gave away something like 20+ guns, and no I didn’t win one!!! I have emailed back and forth with both Matt and Angus and they have both been very helpful.

So enough with the whys and the what not, let’s hear about the gun!!! I picked it up today from the dealer that I had long ago bought that first CZ. He is direct with them so he was able to order the gun for me. I had a S&W 642 sitting around that I traded plus $220 cash and ordered the gun (that made the gun around $500). I ordered wood grips, mag bases and bought some extra mags at the sametime.

The gun came in the blue case with owners manual, two 18 round magazines, night sights, cable lock, loading tool, brush, rod and test target (the computer generated kind). It also came with two snap caps with extra primer plugs, I thought that was pretty cool. It wore the black molded rubber grips and was coated in the shipping oil. So I wiped it down and field stripped it. I sprayed all the triggers parts down with FP10 and then oiled up the slide and framed with some Tetra Gun oil. I worked the slide about 100 times and dry fired about 200-300 times to get everything slicked up. The trigger is what I expected, heavy in double action and lots of take up and creep in single action. It wasn’t gritty feeling, just real heavy and lots of creep. I replaced the rubber grips with the checkered walnut grips and added some skate board tape to the front strap and back strap. I loaded up all six magazines that I had and headed to the local indoor range.

I had a mixture of factory loaded ammo, Wolf, Remington, Mag-Tech and S&B, a total of about 300 rounds. I burned through the first 75 rounds just getting a feel of the gun and how it shot. I then set the target up at about 25feet and cranked off two mags, a total of 36 rounds and produced a nice ragged hole firing at a medium pace. I moved the target back to the end of the lane, 50 feet, and firing as fast as I could with a good sight picture put 18 rounds in center mass and another 18 rounds in the head of the target.

I swapped targets and sent it back down to the 50 foot mark and put another 52 rounds all in center mass except for the 3 I pulled. These were all fired two hand hold at a medium to fast pace with a good sight picture. When I speed up I would pull a shot or two, but I do this with fine tuned 1911!!

I swapped out targets again and ran another 100 rounds at the 50 foot mark at the same speed keeping most of them in the center mass. I did pull some to the right, about 4 rounds. In right at 300 rounds with all the different ammo I had zero malfunctions. Everything feed and extracted without a problem. Gun was very controllable with very little felt recoil and muzzle rise. The sight picture was good, although I don’t care for the 3 dot sights, but I have a black marker to fix that. All rounds hit to point of aim, except for the ones I jerked. A good trigger job will help that and some more practice on my part.

The gun felt great in the hand, pointed great and was very accurate straight from the box. I was impressed with the accuracy since the computer generated test target didn’t look so hot. I am not the best shot in the world by far, but it is always nice to have the folks in the lanes next to you stop and look and ask what you are shooting!!!

I came home ordered a Blade Tech DOH holster and 3 dual mag pouches and will be getting back in touch with Angus or Matt to get the trigger slicked up. Doing some math with gun, grips, 4 additional mags, holster and mag pouches I am sitting at about $770. With trigger job I will be under a grand and ready for racing in Production.

post-2563-1132114381_thumb.jpgpost-2563-1132114426_thumb.jpgpost-2563-1132114465_thumb.jpg[attac

ment=2698:attachment]post-2563-1132114591_thumb.jpgpost-2563-1132114591_thumb.jpgpost-45-1048309718_thumb.jpgpost-2563-1132114661_thumb.jpgpost-2563-1132114696_thumb.jpgpost-2563-1132114746_thumb.jpgpost-2563-1132114793_thumb.jpgpost-2563-1132114838_thumb.jpgpost-2563-1132114871_thumb.jpgpost-2563-1132114942_thumb.jpg

post-2563-1132114513_thumb.jpg

post-2563-1132114557_thumb.jpg

post-2563-1132114630_thumb.jpg

post-2563-1132114909_thumb.jpg

That is great...good looking gun too..but I am a little biased :D

two things I noticed..

looks like you have real night sights...mine came with luminous painted dots..but I switched them off for the CZ competition sights..

aslo you rail had three slots..both of my SP01s have only two slots cut in the rail..

CZ already changing the gun...hmmm

anyway....they are good shooters..a lighter hammer spring will do wonders for the DA pull...I have not seen the inside of the decocker model..so I do not how much more complex they are than the DA/SA safety model..but I have heard that Matt does not fear the decocker model..

I justnoticed that the rail is different than the picture on the www.czub.cz website. It shows two notches as well.

Yeah real night sights on this.

The only thing about the trigger about that worries me is light primer hits, but I guess with the heavier hammer it shouldn't be a problem.

Congrats! That gun is a beaut & looks even better with the wood grips. Thanks for the pictures and the thorough range report. It seems as if these SP-01s are showing up at dealers all over the country. Look forward to hearing how it does at the next USPSA/IDPA shoot.

Are you going to have your trigger worked by Angus? I shot one he worked on and since my biggest complained about the CZ was trigger, I was quite amazed and thinking about it.... The grip is so much smaller. And since I'm cross eye dominant and cannot hold the gun "right" (my stronghand thumb doesn't come around to the left as far as it should) that long tail is something really helps.

Welcome to Production BTW. Its really challenging to plan stages with 10rds but therefore, its more fun for me!!

It seems as if these SP-01s are showing up at dealers all over the country.

this is pretty cool to hear about more and more people getting the guns...

The only thing about the trigger about that worries me is light primer hits, but I guess with the heavier hammer it shouldn't be a problem.

Have heard that some think the competition hammer helps with the ignition. I know with a the comp hammer and a 15# hammer spring it will set off all the primers I can think of. CCI, Remington, Winchester small pistol and small rifle, and Federal..

Angus and Matt do really trick work on the CZ action..really recommend them. Glad you are liking your gun...keep us updated on your progress..

Welcome to Production BTW. Its really challenging to plan stages with 10rds but therefore, its more fun for me!!

Production is truly fun..Love all the planning and the challenge of accuracy because the points..and love even better when a plan comes together..as there is no room for error in Production.

You'll enjoy it!

That is pretty cool that yours has 3 rail slots. That must have been changed to allow the M3 Streamlight type lights sit up against the trigger guard. Now I've seen 1 slot, 2 slots, and 3 slot guns.

What is even better is I think I can get them to make weight in IDPA SSP now with that 3rd slot. Thats been an ongoing project to get it down to 39oz with mag and still keep it SSP legal. That 3rd slot may have just got me to 39 oz.

With having shot Limited 10 the way I plan a stage will be the same. The big difference for me will be the size of the holes!!! I have been shooting .45acp 200gr semi wad cutters and there have been many, many C's into A's and B's because of the nice round wad cutter holes!!!

Yeah I have been in contact with both Matt and Angus and will get some pricing together on just a trigger job, I am ok with the sights.

Jake is there any chance you might be able to weigh that bad boy with an emprty mag to see if it makes weight for production?

Matt, do you know if CZ is going to import the gun that Adam Tyc used at the WS? I called CZUSA yesterday and they had no clue what I was talking about.

I am in the market for a new production gun.

Jake is there any chance you might be able to weigh that bad boy with an emprty mag to see if it makes weight for production?

Jake..

for IDPA SSP..we are looking for the magic 39 ounces with empty mag...

do you have the factory 16 round mag as well as the SP01s 19 round mag?? to try and weigh it with?

USPSA..just can't be 2 ounces over the factory specified weight for Production..

Adam used a CZ 85 Combat II, which is not importable to the US due to it not making enough import points. It does not have a firing pin block, so it would need something else to make it. Maybe adjustable sights would get it in, I don't know. Plus, SP-01 sales are so much exponentially higher than the Combat II sales that CZ-UB is considering discontinuing the Combat II, from what I heard secondhand. Thats too bad, it is a cool gun.

Matt, do you know if CZ is going to import the gun that Adam Tyc used at the WS? I called CZUSA yesterday and they had no clue what I was talking about.

I am in the market for a new production gun.

Adam used a CZ 85 Combat II, which is not importable to the US due to it not making enough import points. It does not have a firing pin block, so it would need something else to make it. Maybe adjustable sights would get it in, I don't know. Plus, SP-01 sales are so much exponentially higher than the Combat II sales that CZ-UB is considering discontinuing the Combat II, from what I heard secondhand. Thats too bad, it is a cool gun.

Thanks Matt. My interest in the Combat II has more to do with the fact that it seems like it would make wieght. If the tactical does with the three rail cuts my interest in the Combat II is moot.

Thanks Matt. My interest in the Combat II has more to do with the fact that it seems like it would make wieght. If the tactical does with the three rail cuts my interest in the Combat II is moot.

Ooooohhh, the Combat II would probably make weight, hmmmmmm, now I have phone calls to make.

The Combat II would be great..

not that I think the SP01 is too heavy..but be nice to have something between the 75b and the SP01 as far as weight and balance.

Matt...make some calls...have them slap a adjustable sight on it and whatever else it needs to make points..

Shot first monthly match yesterday with new SP01.

Still waiting to get my holster and mag pouches so I was using an Uncle Mikes big clunky nylon paddle holster that covered the gun up past the sights!!!

For a mag holder I used the Blade-Tech double stacked injection molded I found here at a local shop.

I was able to do the El Prez has way respectable

time-7.07

points-48

hit factor-6.7893

Wasn't blazingly fast and dropped 12 points but still felt pretty good about it.

I could really tell the difference in the transition from da to sa, something that I am going to have to get used to since I have been shooting single actions for awhile now.

I also noticed on my target that my pairs were not real controlled. First shot would be a good solid A and then I would push the second down into a C or sometimes a D.

I am sure that it was me pushing forward and down on the gun causing this, anticipating the recoil I am used, but with having a longer trigger pull I ended up with a lower shot.

This can all be fixed with a trigger job and practice.

Hehehehehe..

I was surprised how far the sights would move during a double action pull...on a target...I would have two groups..one for the double action first shot..low left and then the grouping for the single action shots...

now after some concentrated practice..its all one group...

Once you get used to the transition..all is good.

Mark,

I thought external modifications were illegal in SSP?

from the IDPA rule book

4. Internal action work may be used to enhance trigger pull as

long as safety is maintained (no visible external modifications

allowed).

Craig