Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1100 primer slide issue

The primer slide on my Dillon 1100 will no longer fully retract on the up stroke. So a new primer cannot be loaded into the slide.

The slide and frame are very clean, moves easily by hand.

The lever does not touch the frame as it moves.

It retracts the slide about 3/4 of the necessary length. It can easily be pushed rearward by hand the rest of the way.

The cotter pin etc are cleaned and greased,

Anyone have any idea? 

Assuming the mechanism is clean and lubed and the slide and channel are clean...

The primer slide actuating lever may need adjustment.

There is actually a fairly narrow window where things will work properly.

Only retracting 3/4 of the way seems odd though. 

My recollection (faulty?) is if the lever is misadjusted you'll get 90% at least of the necessary travel.

Without going out to my press to refresh my memory I'll guess you may try lowering the mechanism just a hair.

Edited by ddc
clarification, re-worded...

DDC - the lever seems to only be adjustable up and down on the primer  tube shield. It seems the springs that move the lever fore and aft need to be stronger, but no where have I seen instructions on how to adjust. Got any?

and, to be clearer, the failure to retract varies....sometimes its a quarter of an inch, sometimes, 1/16, sometimes more...

Hogrider, yeah, Ive seen the video. Did all that....

Edited by midatlantic

10 minutes ago, midatlantic said:

DDC - the lever seems to only be adjustable up and down on the primer  tube shield. It seems the springs that move the lever fore and aft need to be stronger, but no where have I seen instructions on how to adjust. Got any?

and, to be clearer, the failure to retract varies....sometimes its a quarter of an inch, sometimes, 1/16, sometimes more...

It is adjustable up and down and also rotationally. When adjusting it you need to make sure the lever operates in parallel with the slide motion. Rotate as necessary to get the proper orientation. That doesn't have to be 100% perfect but it is something to take note of.

If it is up too high then the lever loses contact with the slide too early and it doesn't retract far enough.

My 1100 came with that clamping mechanism loose enough so that during the first 100 rounds or thereabouts it gradually got pushed up the primer tube shield enough where the lever wouldn't engage the primer slide sufficiently.

As far as the springs are concerned I have not had any issues that could be traced to weak springs.

I also recall having issues when the lever was too low. 

It's been a while since I had to deal with all that so I'm going on memory here... that could be a little shaky, lol...

1 hour ago, ddc said:

My 1100 came with that clamping mechanism loose enough so that during the first 100 rounds or thereabouts it gradually got pushed up the primer tube shield enough where the lever wouldn't engage the primer slide sufficiently.

My 1050 came the same way.  

Maybe something else to ask the op, did the press get jammed and did you have to force the lever in either direction with a great deal of force?  If too much force is applied to "clear" a jam it is possible to damage (bend) components which could also be causing the issue.  

Edited by Boomstick303

40 minutes ago, midatlantic said:

mid:

I think most of us using a S1050/RL1100 has fought with that priming system at one time of another!

When mine is set up correctly, the silver block that attaches to the primer magazine is ~ 4" to the middle seam with the toolhead all the way down.  (see pic)

Also, as ddc has mentioned, the lever needs to be just off the bottom of the primer slide frame and as close to center as possible to the brass roller.  (see pic)

Hope all this helps!

Primer Arm Height.png

Primer Slide Lever Rear.png

8 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

My 1050 came the same way.  

Maybe something else to ask the op, did the press get jammed and did you have to force the lever in either direction with a great deal of force?  If too much force is applied to "clear" a jam it is possible to be components which could also be causing the issue.  

Good point. I do recall hearing of instances where that actuating lever got bent. That would mess things up.

1 hour ago, midatlantic said:

Thanks all. Talked to Dillon tech and yes, as noted above the actuating lever was bent. Just 2 or 3 degrees off axis but that was enuf. Put it in the vise and bent ever so slowly back. Seems to be working. 

Excellent.