Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for feedback on the Mark 7 Apex 10

Since the Apex 10 has come out, I've seen some issues posted on here. Seems most of it is around priming. Have most of the issues been resolved/shaken out or are there still some problems with the Apex 10? 

I'm considering replacing my Dillon XL750 w/ a new press that has more stations than what I have now, so that I can separate flaring and powder drop into two separate stations. Being able to also swage is another want. The other issue that I have with the XL750 is the springy shell plate that has caused me issues with the S3 dies to reload NAS3 cases. Ultimate goal would be dedicated stations for flaring, powder drop, seating, and crimping with options down to the road to add a bullet feeder. The only caliber that I plan to reload on it would be 9 major/minor and maybe some 40 S&W. 

I'm torn between the RL1100 and the new Apex 10. The RL1100 is obviously cheaper by a wide margin. I don't like the fact that the RL1100 has fewer stations, but I also like Dillon as a company and I've always had positive customer support experiences w/ my XL750. 

Automation isn't really a goal right now, but the fact that I could do it with the Apex 10 and incremental investment is a plus vs rip and replace.

Edited by pealandco

Pealandco - Allow me to share only one persons view point on part of your questions Sir - I own and load on a 15+ year old 650, recently purchased an RL1100 and used to own a Mark7 Evolution (Apex’s 1st cousin that was prettier and had a slightly different priming system from the Apex - I believe)……

The RL1100’s primary advantage over the 650/750 series loaders is the swaging station.  The 1100 offers several other enhanced items but for the most part the added swaging station is why many buy this machine series along with the robustness of the machine for automation.  You will not gain more stations for added capabilities on the 1100 over your 750 but what you will gain with the 1100 is the opportunity to spend more on toolheads and caliber conversion kits. 

As for the Apex I cannot comment directly but to my understanding it is a slightly modified version of the Evolution with a modified priming system (again I do not know these details - but I am sure others here can help answer this unknown by me point).  As for the Evolution I owned - OH MY Goodness - what a beautiful machine in every aspect…It was truly a Swiss Watch compared to a Timex - butter smooth action, WELL built, and just a beautiful machine to look at (all of the pieces and parts were so well finished)…and Well Built (yea I know I already said this). Ok - back to reality - I sold my EVO because after 4 months of trying really really hard working with Mark7 I just could not get the priming system on my specific EVO to cycle consistently and after the third primer detonation I decided to let it go….I also upgraded the case feed from the Hornady unit that came with the machine to a Dillon variable speed and this was a worth the cost and effort IMO…..Now I will say this - there are folks right here on this forum who own the Evolution and Revolution and they will tell you that once you get the Mark7 machines dialed in - they are a true joy to own, run, and they can put out some high volume, high quality ammo….I just gave up trying to get my EVO to that point because I am old, I have OCD when it comes to reloading, and I have little patience for anything that does not eventually work like I think it should (the OCD again coming out in me)…..

If Mark7 has improved the priming system on the Apex over the EVO I might consider getting one - eventually - but for now I am going to continue to sit on the bench waiting to see how this new machine does…..Also, I like you love Dillon reloaders and even though there is nothing that I can find in writing anywhere I have heard rumor that Dillon is working on a 10 stage reloader but as we all know it took a long time before they were able to release the RL1100 over their original planned release so I am sure we will hear nothing about this (if it is true) until the unit is being built for its release (just my guess)…..

I am anxious to read and learn from others the comments and feedback in your OP questions related to the Apex…Just thought I would share my thoughts related to the Dillon 750 vs. 1100…..AGAIN - these are only my opinions/thoughts/comments and I am sure others will vary….Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

Hello, I have EVO and APEX 10, no boot problems with my two EVOs.

With the apex 10 the priming system was incorrectly set at the factory, correct setting since

I added the auto drive on EVO and works perfectly.

@Sigarmsp226 Good info on the RL1100 and Evolution. Confirms my concerns about the RL1100 and the real lack of additional stations compared to my XL750. Swaging would be a plus, but the real problem I'm trying to solve is separating expanding/flaring from powder drop. Seems the Mark 7's are the only way to go. 

@cooldid you have to fix the priming system yourself? What was the fix?

Hello

The setting was poorly done in the factory, all you had to do was raise the primer pusher by moving the shim to the left to raise the pusher which was too low. 

In 1 minute the problem was solved. And since more problem. I have an RL 1050 which is 28 years old the priming never worked properly

20210806_105138_LI.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. I ended up going the Mark 7 route. DAA had them in stock at the end of last week, and I pulled the trigger. Placed the order on Wednesday and received it Saturday. Went Apex 10 for a number of reasons:

• Recent price increases from Dillon - by the time you factor in the upgrades for the 1100 like a CNC toolhead and some other parts, you're approaching Apex 10 territory.
  • Separate stations for expansion and swaging on the Apex 10 - as I'll describe below this is my 1st time setting up swaging and hold down on a press (coming from an XL750). Would be a lot more difficult to deal with expansion and swaging on the same station with an 1100/1050. 
  • 9 real stations on the Apex 10 vs 6 on the 1100 (or 7 with the CNC toolhead) - if I want to put a bullet feeder and a powder check on the Apex 10 down the road, no problem. On the RL1100 I would have to give up a powder check or move seating and crimping to the same station.

My only concern going with the Apex 10 was support and ease of setup compared to Dillon. I'll say the press came 99% tuned from the factory. Had it setup in a few hours and took another day of playing around, setting up dies, and fine tuning. @SSGJohnV and others on the FB Mark7 reloading group have been very helpful, as well as the videos that Mark7 has on YouTube. The only things that I've had to adjust were swaging (which comes completely turned off) and primer depth. I had a couple of crushed primers, but it was tied to me adjusting the swaging more aggressively or me seating too deep. I did have some binding on the primer disk, but that quickly cleared up after cycling the press a few times. The case feeder also feels a lot more solid than the Dillon. 

The only things that I've come across on the Mark7 that I'm not a fan of:

• The powder measure is a lot more complicated that the Dillon in good and bad ways. It is very smooth, but you really have to lock down the nut otherwise you will get drifts in your drops after 10-20 rounds. Adjustability is not as quick as the Dillon because of this. The baffle design also feels cheap. Basically, just a piece of metal that floats. Anytime you dump the measure you have to reset the baffle. It is also not as intuitive as the Dillon to setup, but that's me being new to the platform.
  • Another place to hang a bin would be nice for bullets. 
Edited by pealandco

On 8/23/2021 at 6:27 PM, pealandco said:

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. I ended up going the Mark 7 route. DAA had them in stock at the end of last week, and I pulled the trigger. Placed the order on Wednesday and received it Saturday. Went Apex 10 for a number of reasons:

• Recent price increases from Dillon - by the time you factor in the upgrades for the 1100 like a CNC toolhead and some other parts, you're approaching Apex 10 territory.
  • Separate stations for expansion and swaging on the Apex 10 - as I'll describe below this is my 1st time setting up swaging and hold down on a press (coming from an XL750). Would be a lot more difficult to deal with expansion and swaging on the same station with an 1100/1050. 
  • 9 real stations on the Apex 10 vs 6 on the 1100 (or 7 with the CNC toolhead) - if I want to put a bullet feeder and a powder check on the Apex 10 down the road, no problem. On the RL1100 I would have to give up a powder check or move seating and crimping to the same station.

My only concern going with the Apex 10 was support and ease of setup compared to Dillon. I'll say the press came 99% tuned from the factory. Had it setup in a few hours and took another day of playing around, setting up dies, and fine tuning. @SSGJohnV and others on the FB Mark7 reloading group have been very helpful, as well as the videos that Mark7 has on YouTube. The only things that I've had to adjust were swaging (which comes completely turned off) and primer depth. I had a couple of crushed primers, but it was tied to me adjusting the swaging more aggressively or me seating too deep. I did have some binding on the primer disk, but that quickly cleared up after cycling the press a few times. The case feeder also feels a lot more solid than the Dillon. 

The only things that I've come across on the Mark7 that I'm not a fan of:

• The powder measure is a lot more complicated that the Dillon in good and bad ways. It is very smooth, but you really have to lock down the nut otherwise you will get drifts in your drops after 10-20 rounds. Adjustability is not as quick as the Dillon because of this. The baffle design also feels cheap. Basically, just a piece of metal that floats. Anytime you dump the measure you have to reset the baffle. It is also not as intuitive as the Dillon to setup, but that's me being new to the platform.
  • Another place to hang a bin would be nice for bullets. 

Correct analysis that I fully agree with. The Apex10 is an excellent press you have to 'understand' it well, but once set up it works like a Swiss watch. I also share the critical points highlighted by the powder measure. It costs a lot of money but it's not that functional. Personally I was considering getting the Hornady one which has the same drum system but they tell me it works better.

• 1 year later...

I sent my Mark 7 Apex 10 Manual Press back for a refund. I spent the better part of 2 weeks trying to get it to function, including hours on the phone with their tech.  The priming system was just part of the issue. I can never see this thing running like a "Swiss watch". Maybe mine was defective. 

I bought it for the same reason you did OP; an upgrade to the Dillon XL750. I have since learned to cope with the minor shortcomings of the XL750 and produce an excess of the 300-500 match grade rounds (9mm) per week needed to feed my competition habits. 

I also have an old RL550B that I use for 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 357 Mag, and 5.56 NATO.  It took me longer to get the Apex 10 off my bench than it did to mount, set up the powder measure and all the dies on my XL750. I'm back in business. 

I kept the Mr. Bullet Feeder and will give it a try on my XL750 but honestly, I don't need the increased speed to keep up with my production demands. 

I hope your results are better!

Cheers,

Wooly

On 8/25/2021 at 6:58 AM, Josh Biondi said:

Correct analysis that I fully agree with. The Apex10 is an excellent press you have to 'understand' it well, but once set up it works like a Swiss watch. I also share the critical points highlighted by the powder measure. It costs a lot of money but it's not that functional. Personally I was considering getting the Hornady one which has the same drum system but they tell me it works better.

I'm also in agreement with the OP and @Josh Biondi.  After loading with the RL1100 for a couple of years, I'm going with the Apex 10 as I truly want to utilize a 10 station press and I am willing to devote the time to "understand it well" also!  I'll be using the Dillon powder measure to start off with as I have it working flawlessly; and just want to see if it works as well on the Apex10 as others have recommended!

FWIW:  During my first run of reloads after carefully setting up the RL1100, the primer system failed, broke parts I didn't have spares for, and had to wait almost a week for replacements.  Also had a couple of parts missing from the box.  These were minor issues, once I learned to "understand" the 1100's priming system and the frequent cleaning/maintenance it requires to confidently do single pass loading.

Once I fully understand operating/maintaining the Apex10, then I'll automate it!

Seeing others that are successfully using the various M7 presses gives me confidence I can also enjoy a 10 station press!

😉

• 1 month later...

If anyone is still looking for feedback on the Apex10, then I can share my initial experience as EXCELLENT!  I moved over to the Apex10 from an RL1100 as I wanted 10 fully-usable stations along with the option to upgrade to "digital" automation!  As you can see in the pic, I did move my very precise Dillon powder measure over to the Apex10 as I have it set up (with micrometer) to deliver very consistent drops and I didn't have to take the time to learn the M7 powder measure system.  And with the few hundred loads I've run though the Apex10, the Dillon powder measure has remained as consistent and accurate as when it was on the RL1100.

One of the things I was dreading, based on other's past experiences, was dealing with those dreaded primer hang-ups and issues.  So far, my primer system has been flawless; and the only adjustment I've made was a minor setting change for primer seating depth.

Have the included Lyman hold down die over the swage station, a sizing die over the primer station,  Redding Pro expander, and the DAA V2 powder check.  The powder check die has made such a great improvement in my loading process as I now don't have to make sure I "also" glance at the video feed from an Endoscope camera.  And the accuracy of the DAA powder checker is excellent!  Of course I have my Redding NxGen Pro dies in the sizer, seat, and crimp stations.

I did have a delay in my initial production, which I found during setup.  During cycling of the press, there was a definite "drag" happening right about the middle of the stroke.  And this was with an empty shell plate.  While following the recommended procedure for aligning the tool head, I found that if I left the right guide pin alignment block loose, the "drag" was removed and the press cycled very smoothly.  After taking some measurements, I found out that one of the tool head alignment pins had been incorrectly installed causing the pin to be off-center.  A phone call to Mark7 support, and the next day I have a new, replacement tool head on it's way.  

After a couple of phone calls during initial setup, along with finding the defective tool head,  I have found that Mark7 offers EXCELLENT Customer Service that is on par with any company I have experience with so far.  The CSRs I've spoken with have gone out of their way to listen and readily help with any questions and/or concerns I've had.  Also found a lot of support videos by the M7/Lyman Techs that thoroughly address a lot of setup/maintenance procedures that are not readily available in the Manual.

Now to start saving for the Mark7 Autodrive and sensors!

HTHs!

Current SU.png

• 3 weeks later...

I've never owned an Apex 10, however, I have had experience with just about most major press manufacturers.  I previously owned an Evolution, great press by the way but sold it and got me the Revolution press instead.  If you have the funds, look into MK7 Genesys press, however if you're new to reloading, pulling the handle is where it's at.  My personal opinion is that Mark7 decided to cheapened their Evo to reduce manufacturing down time.  Instead of having all parts CNC made, they opted for cast tool head, body, etc.  Personally, I don't think the Apex 10 is truly worth 3k investment, but looking into MK7 new offering of the Genesys that seems like a complete reloading press with just about everything you need for an extra few dollars.

No press is perfect, each unique press has its own flaws and I've owned Dillon's, Hornady, and MK7...  My back up press is a Dillon XL750 which is a great press by the way!  But IMO MK7 is one of the best press out there at this moment~