Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillion 1050 And Additional Accessories

Midas

I am going to be purchasing a 1050 soon. Some people in the past have mentioned that there are other parts that are better to use on the Dillon than Dillon's own parts. I really don't recall what they where. Maybe dies etc???

Does anyone have any info on that.

Thanks,

Jeff

I really like the Lee factory crimp die for any caliber for which Lee makes them.

If you will be loading lead bullets (you didn't state caliber or bullet type), I think the Dillon seating die is the best around. When using lead bullets, seating dies clog up with bullet lube and some lead shavings or fragments. With the Dillon seating die, you can just pull the clip and clean the die, without changing the adjustment.

If you will be loading exclusively jacketed bullets, that quick-clean feature won't be important. For rifle cartridges, I like the RCBS Competition seating die, because you can drop the bullet in the window at the top side of the die, and that is a bit easier than fitting it on the case while the toolhead is coming down. The bullet seating depth is micrometer adjustable.

Even better, Ponsness Warren used to make a bullet seating die called the "Cal-Die." It also had a window on the top side, and you could drop the bullet in without getting your fingers on the bottom of the die. The Cal-Die inserts also had a spring-loaded ball in the insert which held the bullet in place until the bullet was seated into the case. That was the easiest bullet seating system I have seen. The Cal-Die inserts were made only up to .30 caliber, but that covered the majority of rifle loading. They were adjustable, but not with a micrometer adjustment. Once set, they were okay, but setting cartridge OAL was a chore. The Cal-Dies and inserts may still be available. I haven't checked. If not still made, you might find them at gun shows or on the Internet.

I came up with a hybrid of those two. The Cal-Die insert is just slightly larger than that on an RCBS Competition seating die. I chucked the die body of the RCBS Competition seating die in the lathe, and polished out the inside just enough to accept a Cal-Die insert. With that seating die, I have both the micrometer adjustment and a spring-loaded ball detent to hold the bullet in place until seated. That makes a very smooth operation, because the timing of feeding the bullet is much broader. You just drop the bullet in the window at any time while the handle is anywhere in the top half of its stroke. No need to hold the bullet while the seating die is coming down. Of course, this only works for rifle cartridges for which there is both an RCBS Competition Seating die and a Ponsness Warren Cal-Die insert. All you need from the Cal-Die is the insert, and those were sold separately.

There are lots more tricks and accessories, but those two should get you started.

Jim M.

Edited by Jim M.

I started out with Lee, Lyman, RCBS and Dillon dies but when it came time to replace them I always go back to the Dillon dies.

I load a lot of different handgun calibers and .223 on the 1050 and I don't see any reason to change die brands from what you get with the loader.

YMMV

G

Thanks guys for all the good info. I will be loading mostly 9MM 147gr.FMJ for the most part.

A lot of folks will disagree. I used to have a XL650 for loading .40 and .223 on, with my 1050 for .38 Super. The point was that when I'm in 3-Gun season, the 650 is setup for 223 and the 1050 is permanently setup for Open pistol. When 3-Gun "season" was done, I loaded a couple of thousand 223's for the occasional rifle match/practice session/class and then switched it over to .40 for Limited. Then just take both pistols to matches/practice/classes. Good to go.

With the onset of more 3-Gun matches and the 3-Gun "season" extending further into the shooting year, I bit the bullet last year (pre-Army) and bought a second 1050 for .223 and sold the 650 to a friend. For .40 it's knocking on Dad's door and asking to load on his 550.

My point? Don't worry about different calibers now. You're loading one caliber, probably for IDPA or IPSC Production and it's a perfect setup. The Dillon dies are great and with 9mm brass incredibly cheap, there's really no need to even consider anything beyond the normal Dillon dies. However, if you are planning on buying once fired brass (particularly brass fired from pistols with non-fully supported chambers) then investing in the EGW Die is probably a good investment. Too, if you like tinkering with your loads, and moreso depening on the pistol you're using, the RCBS Competition Seating Die isn't bad. You can adjust your seating depths on the fly. I have this on my 1050 for .38 Super as I would let friends load on it from time to time and they have different powder charges and OAL's than me. Again, unless you plan on doing something similar, probably no need.

The Dillon dies are second to none. Let me say that again. THE DILLON DIES ARE SECOND TO NONE...and will fit your needs perfectly.

Other advice with the 1050, is patience with it. It's a great machine. However, like most, they can be temperamental at times. So don't be afraid to call Dillon for assistance. They have seen EVERY problem one would have. Keep it clean and lubed and you'll have no problems with it once you're up and running.

Good luck and hope to see you on the range when I get back to the US.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Talk to Matt at Custom Glock Racing about getting the 1050. He gave me a pretty good deal.

Now I wish I had the primer tube filler.

Get the spare parts kit, just in case you tweak something.

Itchy

ALL the stock DILLON parts including dies have served me well for the 15 years ive loaded super on my 1050. Well o0over half a million rounds. SOME LIKE OTHER DIES FOR SIZING

to take the bulge out of case bases shot in feed ramps cut excessively. DILLON DIES are the best IHOH, respectfully best wishes. B)

I would really like to buy the 1050 from Brian however since I am a "stay at Home dad", my income is very limited and the payment plan directly from dillion sounds really good.

I did not know that Matt sells Dillion since it is not on his web site.

Jeff