Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom S&W 629

Bill Schwab

I just bought a new S&W 629 Classic 5”. I plan to use this beauty for local bowling pin matches, and carrying in the woods while hiking. Most of my shooting will be DA, and predominantly 44 Specials. I’m shipping it to Mark at Pinnacle High Performance for his premium action job, and a DX front sight setup. I’ll be installing a Bowen Rough Country rear, and I already ordered custom wood grips fit to my hand. I have a suitable holster. This sweetheart will, I suspect, be my favorite wheelgun.

Is there anything else you guys recommend I get done while it’s with Mark? 

Sights, trigger, and grips are the main things. Those are the interface between gun and shooter. You can get 44 cal. moonclips now, but I don't think that is needed unless you will have to do reloads on the clock at a match. TK Custom is making them for Starline 44 brass. They will probably fit Russian, Special, Magnum, and any other 44 from Starline. You WILL love that one.

Edited by Toolguy

6 hours ago, Bill Schwab said:

No moonclips for this build, maybe the next one though.

Round & polish trigger completely escaped me, thanks!

I had a 29-3 cut for moon clips, using russians it was ok but the clips were very thin and didn't hold tightly.

The trouble is finding RN bullets of a lighter weight.  A lot more work than a 45 acp, which does the same thing.  UNLESS you're using it for Pins or Hunting then the 44 is head and shoulders above!

It's good to get excited about a new gun!