Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blizkrieg /Kynshot question

Appreciated if somebody can tell me the difference (in shooting/dot movement) between the standard buffer (5007), the HD buffer and the 5020SS...

Now using the 5007 with spacer/weight in front and JP carbine spring.

Tnx! Henk

I have one 9 with the standard buffer AND the weight and the rest have the HD buffers and weight and to be honest, I'm not good enough to see any difference in splits shooting a 135 PF 147 load in 16 inch barrels.  I do get the sense that I feel just alittle less "bolt bounce".  I will be ordering the HD versions for any future builds, regardless.

There is no simple answer to your question.  Dot movement is caused/controlled by a lot more than the strength of your buffer.  Nominally, the SS is to be used with mouse fart loads only.  I think it a waste of time.  B says 5007 for 'normal' loads in short barrels and the HD for the same load in longer barrels.  That is just basic guidance.  All else being equal, the hotter load needs a stiffer buffer.  That being said, you have to do a lot of experimenting and tweaking to get what you want.

I happen to use the 5007 since that is what came with my Leadstar Prime.  With the Leadstar bolt (weight included), the 5007, the Blitkrieg SS slug and a 5.56 carbine spring I can shoot 147gr @ 985 fps into the same hole at 25 yards as fast as i can pull the trigger.  That is 144 PF.  Recoil is stiff in a 5.25 lb. gun.  As it happens, I'm out of 147s but have a lot of 124s and mucho 115s.  So I've been developing loads with them.  My goal was to get a sub-minor load for a 5" 1911 barrel and have the same load usable in the PCC.

For lighter loads the trick is to get your buffer to go full stroke and just kiss the end of the tube.  Any more than a kiss and the dot rises more.  No kiss makes the gun shoot slower.  I succeeded.  A charge of 2.5~2.9gr e3 under a poly coated 125 shoots with little or no dot bounce.  2.7~2.9 is better; no movement.  That is with the weight in the bolt, the 5007, SS slug, and the shorter MBX short stroke adapter inserted in the rear of a carbine spring in an A5 length tube.  It took a lot of trial and error to come up with that.  I'm sticking with the 2.7 load for now.