Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mystery failure to feed and solution

SGT_Schultz

My P-09 started having occasional failures to feed at about 11,000 rounds.  After reviewing the usual causes and fixes and getting no results, I started investigating how the cartridge rim slid under the extractor claw.

Took the extractor out and scraped off some carbon off the inside of the claw and off the sides of the breech face, since sliding a case up from the bottom felt rough.  Put it back together, no dice.

Took the original extractor out again and felt all over the inside of the claw with a dental pick.  I found some burrs at the bottom edge of the claw.  Tried to dress them out without success so I the replaced the extractor with a new one.

Pistol now runs like a champ even with a 15 lb recoil spring.

So look at your extractor if a high round count pistol starts having feeding problems.

I judged the repair good by hand cycling the slide as fast as I could through two magazines full.  I have a portion of basement that can absorb an ND/AD.  Today I ran 100 rounds live fire through four different magazines and confirmed the pistol is back to 100%

49 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

I think it is easy to forget the extractor plays a role earlier in the function/cycling of the gun than we give it credit.

You're absolutely right.  We all tend to focus on how the front of the cartridge interfaces with the gun.

The clue for me was really stopping and looking at everything, then noticing that while the bullet was already entering the chamber, the ass end of the cartridge had stopped cold.  Had to be something back there.