Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Bent Front Sight

mcoliver

Recently widened my rear notch so I had to re-zero my Standard gun and found a problem.

If I cant the gun up such that I can see the front sight alone, it appears straight, crisp and rectangular. If I drop it down in the notch, the right side curves inwards a bit making it appear like its bent to the right.

Anybody else experienced this? How did you solve it?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

And please don't tell me to buy a cmore. :P

Well, I had a similar problem on my 1911. It was half optical illusion and half physical problem.

The optical illusion part was due to it having a tritium insert in it, and the insert was off-center. The physical problem turned out to be the pin that the adjustable rear sight hinges on either cracked and had part fall out, was two pieces and had part fall out, or was just way short for the sight from the factory.

I checked the sights again last night. Benny was right, the right side of the notch was a teeny bit crooked. So I cleaned it up a bit.

Then I discovered a little detail that I didn't see before. I'm right-eye dominant but if the light hits my rear sights in a certain way, I can see the shiny side (right, front area) of the notch wall with my left. I realized I may be using this "false" side when sighting in. <_<

Hopefully, I can get this little annoyance fixed when I cold blue this area.

Thanks for the replies guys.