Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 92 (LTT) mag changes

matto6

Despite previously posting that I Shoot my LTT 92g like garbage I have gotten a lot better with it, and am finally appreciating the positives that it brings to the table.  It recoils lighter than any of my other guns, the grip fits my hand perfectly, and the thing somehow points exactly where I look.   I am able to to get draws from the holster with a reliable grip and hits on target faster than with my other guns. 

The main thing stopping me  from dedicating it to USPSA training and competition is that the magwell is pretty dam tight.   Unless the mag is lined up perfectly it won't go in.  I am significantly faster on mag changes using my CZ's and Sig P320 X5 Legion because as long as I get it somewhere near the general vicinity, it goes in. 

Is anyone shooting a Beretta 92 and if so, are the reloads holding you back?   Everyone likes to say "it's not about the gun"... but for reloads it seems like it kinda is, right?  Of course I can train myself to get better with the LTT, but at that point wouldn't I be even faster with something that loads easier?   

Is this why you don't see more Berettas in practical shooting?    Or does it become a non-issue with enough practice?

Pic for attention!

image.png.9eaefc72b61adfa589f6c5beb515f8ae.png

Edited by matto6

Made GM with a Beretta back in the day. There were other Beretta guys much better than me.  Definitely not the gun. 

That being said, odd little gear things can make a difference; switching grips on a CZ turned my reloads from Great to Crap. 

If you are truly doing good quality practice with the Beretta, then work Smart and not Hard. Go with the more ergonomic gun. Or find someone knowledgeable who can work with you on reloads to see if it's a technique training issue

Thanks everyone.   Glad to hear folks are doing well with Berettas and it's not holding them back.

What I'm noticing is that if I slip the magazine in about 1-1.5", the amount of play available is largest in the X5 Legion, second is the CZ, and the Beretta is last.  It has the tightest tolerances in the bottome 1/3 of the grip.   That extra play is room for error when trying to insert the mag. 

I'll give it some more time and see what happens.