Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shootin' the GAP (Glock 37 in Production)

mreed911

I don't reload.  I still shoot.  That brings up the current "where ammo?" problem.  I took advantage of a deal GT Distributors had on FHP turn-in guns and ammo - Gen 4 Glock 37's in .45 GAP.

$329 for the gun, $.28 cpr for ammo: 140gr .45 GAP @ 1130 fps (158 PF).   They had some other ammo that would make major in limited... but I have a Limited Major gun in .40 already.

For those not familiar, .45 GAP was made to be "45 ACP in the same length as 9mm," reducing the grip length of the gun from a large-frame Glock to the standard-frame.  It's functionally a Glock 17/22 frame with a Glock 20 slide.  Standard mags are 10 rounds, making Production a simple choice. As a bonus, FHP had already configured them with fiber front and flat black rear sights, so it was set up as I prefer.

First lesson... it WILL NOT fit in most Glock 17 holsters as it's 3mm wider (it fits Glock 20 holsters fine).  One eBay stop later and the Comp-Tac was on the way.

I put a titanium guide rod, 13 lb recoil spring, and TTI plunger/striker/trigger springs in it and my lord, it runs like a scalded cat.  With the additional weight/balance and respring, it's not that much difference from a Glock 17 @ 130PF.  By math alone the bullet produces 26% wider holes (almost 2.5mm wider than 9mm), which doesn't hurt on those close-to-the-perf shots.  With empty mag, it comes to 30.41 oz now (up from 28.75 w/empty mag, factory config, vs 24.87 oz factory weight on a Glock 17 w/mag).

It should be a fun rest-of-season, and I've got more than enough ammo to practice and shoot matches now.

IMG_0693.thumb.jpeg.9519b972a2eb2ebebcd78e198bc65732.jpegIMG_0694.thumb.jpeg.e23798f30d4a7d8ffc304e1c6cff633a.jpeg

I don't know if Production Division is its best role because of the GAP's natural tendency to make Major Power Factor (I'd vote for Limited-10), but it is a fine pistol.

I used one for L-10 for a minute.  The only thing that I had to do was use some form of hollow magazine base pad.  The mag springs were fully-compressed with 10 rounds loaded, so any reloads done with the slide forward required an inordinate amount of force to ensure that the mag seated.  The hollow pads allowed the stack to get pushed down by the stripper rail a little easier.

22 minutes ago, Braxton1 said:

I don't know if Production Division is its best role because of the GAP's natural tendency to make Major Power Factor (I'd vote for Limited-10), but it is a fine pistol.

From my original post - the ammo I got is this: Speer 140gr .Frangible/Training 45 GAP @ 1130 fps (158 PF).  It doesn't make Major (though I did pick up a few boxes - maybe enough for two matches - to make Major in L10, but I already have Limited guns... so why?  :)

Hello, I shot one of these that a friend had. We used 185 grain bullets at 140PF. It was super soft shooting and accurate as well. I say go ahead and have some fun with it. Keep all your brass so you can reload and ask around since you can find lots of brass that is usually cheap or even free. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 9:24 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Keep all your brass so you can reload and ask around since you can find lots of brass that is usually cheap or even free. Thanks, Eric

I've been reloading since 2012 and I'm a brass whore...never found a single piece of GAP.

Couple years ago I saw all the deals on these but couldn't bring myself to get one cause I refuse to pay for brass lol